Solved! Question About Power

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I am not sure of the correct forum/thread to put this in, but I was using/benchmarking my laptop when it happened so I decided to put it here. And I am by no means at all any sort of electrician or very savvy in that department.

Running a custom Clevo P870TM1-G with SLI 1080s and 8086k so of course it has the dual adapters that need plugged in, have them plugged into my powerstrip/surge protector which I also use for desktop which was turned off at the time. It is the INLAND NSS05 with 10 outlets.

I have been running this laptop on it for the past week without any issues I have noticed, but today the minute 3dmark loaded and the gpu tests started to run 1 of the adapters lost power and shortly following the 2nd one lost power. I unplugged/re-plugged them and nothing. I moved them to 2 different outlets and boom, perfectly fine. I moved my desk lamp to one of the outlets that didn't work and it turns on fine.

I have not moved the adapters back again to check if they work now, but any answer on why/how that would happen? Any recommendation on a quality powerstrip/surge protector with at least 8 outlets that will not do that to me? I don't know what to look for in that regards.

Solution
Wow, thats a hell of a laptop. Its drawing too much power from the outlet in combination with other devices connected to your circuit. I always have to shut down my sever when vacuuming that room cuz it trips the breaker...

If your room has dual circuit, which I doubt, you could use one circuit for the pcs two plugs and all other devices on the other circuit. Check the power draw on the outlet with a 120v power usage meter. If need be, I suppose that you could add another dedicated circuit.

Did I already say that laptop is a beast? Just wow.

maestro0428

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Wow, thats a hell of a laptop. Its drawing too much power from the outlet in combination with other devices connected to your circuit. I always have to shut down my sever when vacuuming that room cuz it trips the breaker...

If your room has dual circuit, which I doubt, you could use one circuit for the pcs two plugs and all other devices on the other circuit. Check the power draw on the outlet with a 120v power usage meter. If need be, I suppose that you could add another dedicated circuit.

Did I already say that laptop is a beast? Just wow.

Solution

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I will get a v meter and check, but I figured it had more to do with the power strip because it was only those 2 outlets affected and the adapters on the back say output is 19.5v 16.9a 330w each. My other laptop (sli 980m/6820hk) was also plugged in which adapter also says 19.5v 16.9A 330w, but its asleep so it would only be drawing a fraction of that right? And my lamp which is idk what. But everything else plugged in was turned off so it wouldn't be drawing any power right?

Edit: Thanks, though I have to delid the 8086k because it won't even turbo to 5GHz because of heat.