Question about the recent Samsung and Cruical SSD news

Arbiter051

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
First let me say I don't post here extremely often and I really apologies if this is the wrong section to post this.

I've read 4 or 5 articles on the matter and I haven't read any answer to my question. Am I correct in thinking that a person needs Actual Physical access to the drive? Or can they do it remotely through malicious software as well? Sorry if these are dumb questions :(

Another question is as far as encryption software, does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? Thank you :)

Solution
They need actual physical access but the whole point of drive encryption is when you lose your laptop, so this might be an issue they need to solve.

Arbiter051

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
They need actual physical access but the whole point of drive encryption is when you lose your laptop, so this might be an issue they need to solve.

Oh I agree with you 150% that it is a huge issue that needs to be resolved ASAP. I just hope company's like Crucial and Samsung take it very seriously.

My concern was it could be affected remotely as well, so I wanted to ask and make sure I take the necessary steps to further protect Desktop/Myself. Thank you very much for the answer Gasarki.