Question about using a 4k tv with my computer.

Vexsilver

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I see this asked everywhere, but not so much as how I'm looking to ask.

So lets say I had a 65 inch sony XBR65X900B 4k tv. It looks nice in all with all the upscaling it does to 1080p movies, but what happens if you were to actually use a computer to view a 1080p video (say in vlc media player) vs something like a ps3 or so that plays 1080p bluerays?

Now I'm not too savy yet in how this upscaling stuff works, but would it treat the computer showing the movie the same way it would treat the ps3? The description says it upscales movies and even your phone crap to look much better, but I just wonder if it actually does the same thing for a computer.

Now I'm not looking to game in 4k cause I just have a "Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB". I'm looking more for the watching movies/youtube side of the tv all the while seeing it in 120hz or how I just say 60 frames since that what it looks like...

And one more thing. As for standard tv viewing through direct tv. Do these tvs push everything you view to 120hz? I like that smoothness cause I have a 40inch vizio I got years ago and I'd like to upgrade.

Solution
Anything you send into a UHD TV that isn't 4K will be upscaled to the screen resolution. How well this is done separates UHD TVs since it is not cheap. The refresh rate is probably something you set in the TV menu. If you get a UHD make sure it has HDMI 2.0 (which is the latest standard). Netflix has a limited amount of material in 4K but your TV has to have the right codec to get it. Direct TV has announced they will have 4k content by 2016.
Anything you send into a UHD TV that isn't 4K will be upscaled to the screen resolution. How well this is done separates UHD TVs since it is not cheap. The refresh rate is probably something you set in the TV menu. If you get a UHD make sure it has HDMI 2.0 (which is the latest standard). Netflix has a limited amount of material in 4K but your TV has to have the right codec to get it. Direct TV has announced they will have 4k content by 2016.

Solution