Questions about memtest86

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Ok, so I've been recommended a few times to check memtest for ram errors doue to a error I get with a bsod message "weirdly enough with an actual bsod"

1 does memtest use a graphics card in anyway to generate any type of image, I ask this as I've been fault finding a rattle in my system, it's between the psu and gpu, by now I'm near certain it's the psu, and if memtest doesn't run the card up to 60 c I know for sure it's the psu as during the testing the power supply is rattling like crazy.

2 is it ok that I am testing with both sticks installed.

Thanks.

Solution

To answer your questions

1. No GPU required, other than to put picture on monitor , Memtest does have it's own GUI, but it's a very basic screen in DOS,
2 Yes, check with...

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

To answer your questions

1. No GPU required, other than to put picture on monitor , Memtest does have it's own GUI, but it's a very basic screen in DOS,
2 Yes, check with both sticks first. if no problems your fine, if there are problems test one by one to figure out which one is faulty.

Solution

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Well then that rules out the gpu as the issue, thank you.

I'm doing a test still, 4gb of ram, 3 passes so far no errors how many passes should I run just for a check to see if there is massive fault.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

Best to let it run for as long as you can allow. I normally stress test for 5+ hours.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Well, I was just running to check for errors that could potentially bsod my pc, the bsod happens so far whilst just browsing the pc, or idling, it's happend twice, so I thought I'd check the memory, 3 hours in 4 passes, no errors.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

okay, do you have an overclock on your system right now? if so, set everything to stock, and see if you still get BSOD's. Sounds like an unstable system. Test everything at stock, use Prime95 and small fft's to test your CPU.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

okay, firstly, I need the specs of your system to be able to help diagnose further!
and does the bsod whilst your doing something in particular or is it random?

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Completely random, had it once whilst idling and once whilst browsing the web, that's it. The bsod has nly happend twice so far, and hasent even been a proper bsod, its just been a "browsing then suddenly pc shutd off and restarts" when it gets into windows i get a bsod message.
My specs are
Msi gtx 550 ti cyclone ii oc
Amd phenom ii x4 3ghz 945
A76gmv mobo
Usualy a 500w psu " has just been sent in for repair for an issue possible cause of the bsod?" Currently running a 600w novatech powerstation
2 hdds 1 DVD r
4 gb ram