Quick Look: Apple iPad 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Great read. How did you test the speed of the downloads?

I personally can't really see me using the iPad 3G over the standard Wi-Fi model. I do like having the ability to connect anywhere, but as an iPhone owner, why do I need the iPad? My father's been looking mine over, trying to figure out whether it's worth having (he also has an iPhone 3GS), and while he likes it and enjoys typing on it, he's not sure about using it for business.

Also, nice Andy Marken throw-in. Great industry joke.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I'm still not sure what the actual point of this device is. Sure, its sold a lot, but it really doesn't seem to do anything new well enough to make it a must-buy.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I keep reading about this piece of junk looking for the things that sets this apart from all the other gadgets we already have and I honestly cant figure it out. All I see is what it cant do, its overpriced, its locked down, theres nothing here or anywhere else written on this paper weight that overshadows the logo on the back.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Yeah the iPad is a cool device, it is a UMPC after all, but there are just so many better products.

Give me full Windows, Linux, or Android any-day over this closed, castrated UMPC.

PuckerFactor

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Doing Real Work on the iPad?

1. Typing on a virtual keyboard
2. Composing a new message in iPad email
3. Using LogMeIn

yep, sounds like your typical Apple user.

barryegerber

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Folks, I am a serious Windows user - MS and Linux. But, until you've used an iPad and compared it with the horrible touch implementations of Windows and Linux, you can't understand the power of the iPad.

As for closed and open systems, I am testing an Android phone (HTC Incredible) right now. It's a fully open system. Half the software I've downloaded simply locks up the phone. Email, both built-in and K9, can't get to my Exchange 2000 server using IMAP. Synching with Outlook calendar and contacts is a hit and miss thing. I will admit that the touch screen is more like the iPad's - fast and sensitive, but the implementation of the icon display screens is maddeningly limiting my productivity, compared to the iPhone/iPad implementation.

I love building and tinkering with PCs. However, for me a portable computing device like a smartphone or iTablet should free you from all the tinkering and just work.

Those who want yet another computer to worry about are welcome to choose Windows slates, though apparently you won't be able to get one from HP, or the current crop of unripe Android devices.

barryegerber

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
For the record, I compared a WiFi connection out to the Internet with a 3G connection out to the Internet. I did not compare 3G performance to the Internet with local WiFi performance. Obviously, such a local connection would be magnitudes faster. However, it would not provide data for comparison with the 3G network connection.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]PuckerFactor[/nom]Doing Real Work on the iPad?1. Typing on a virtual keyboard2. Composing a new message in iPad email3. Using LogMeInyep, sounds like your typical Apple user.[/citation]

Hi troll.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]barryegerber[/nom]Folks, I am a serious Windows user - MS and Linux. But, until you've used an iPad and compared it with the horrible touch implementations of Windows and Linux, you can't understand the power of the iPad.As for closed and open systems, I am testing an Android phone (HTC Incredible) right now. It's a fully open system. Half the software I've downloaded simply locks up the phone. Email, both built-in and K9, can't get to my Exchange 2000 server using IMAP. Synching with Outlook calendar and contacts is a hit and miss thing. I will admit that the touch screen is more like the iPad's - fast and sensitive, but the implementation of the icon display screens is maddeningly limiting my productivity, compared to the iPhone/iPad implementation.I love building and tinkering with PCs. However, for me a portable computing device like a smartphone or iTablet should free you from all the tinkering and just work.Those who want yet another computer to worry about are welcome to choose Windows slates, though apparently you won't be able to get one from HP, or the current crop of unripe Android devices.[/citation]

thankyou for being sensible! I love messing with my tower too but yes a portable device should just work and if it takes a bit of a control freak to make that happen so be it. A good popular product is about the overall package. Its more than a sum of components and specs. It isnt a coincidence that people love these things.

G

i purchased an ipad wifi from best buy as my 3g model is held up in HK due to backlog.. in playing with it for the few days i kept it before returning it i was absolutely and completely impressed.

i am a hardcore windows guy and do windows system administration as my full time job and grew up using command line interface and keeping the cover off of my PC more than it was on - in other words i am a hacker through and through and in the geek, as well as black/white hat sense. all i can say is that the naysayers and haters just make themselves look stupid when they dis the unit and also make it very clear that they have never handled one themselves.

yes, it is closed (although is already jailbroken). yes it is about $100-$150 too expensive in my opinion, and yes you have to bow down and become one with the apple machine to utilize it, but when the return is as great as it is with the ipad who cares?

i think one thing to also keep in mind is that the device is going to become even better as firmware updates come out and also as developers seize the opportunity to write great software for a device that sold over 1 million units in its first week out.

as much as i love windows 7, or the open idea of android - neither one of them holds a candle in my opinion to apple in the tablet form factor.

*** please note I do not own and never have owned a mac. i am a pc guy through and through.

Status
Not open for further replies.