Quick Look: HTC Hero, Android Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Well I only skimmed the article because it mostly sucked, but was there any mention of the fact that the Hero is not available anywhere other than Europe, and that Sprint (USA) will be launching it in October but without the chin?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]Well I only skimmed the article because it mostly sucked, but was there any mention of the fact that the Hero is not available anywhere other than Europe, and that Sprint (USA) will be launching it in October but without the chin?[/citation]
Read the first paragraph.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I currently have a craptastic Instinct on sprint and was considering the Pre but maybe I will wait a bit longer and see if how this compares. If not, I may wait for the second iteration of the Pre because I do not like the way the current model handles contacts.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Major7Up[/nom]I currently have a craptastic Instinct on sprint and was considering the Pre but maybe I will wait a bit longer and see if how this compares. If not, I may wait for the second iteration of the Pre because I do not like the way the current model handles contacts.[/citation]

Everyone I know who has the Hero loves it. It is a very good middleground between the Pre's professional direction and the iPhone's casual play time.

I would switch to Sprint in an instant if it had a bit better coverage on the west coast and my work weren't paying for my AT&T service. The Hero is a very solid phone, even though Sprint's chinless model makes it look a bit more generic.

G

I have a Hero, and I'm very happy with it.
One very important advantage is that Android is a multitasking OS (i.e. apps can run in the background - not only one at a time as on iPhone)
And almost everything can be changed/altered by downloading apps. If you don't like the SMS-application or call-manager or whatever, it can be exchanged by another app developed by someone else. Apple does not allow this.
It can be a bit sluggish sometimes when you've been running a heavy app for a while and exit to home screen again, and that's a consequence of the real multitasking OS, but it's not very bad at all... And well worth the ability to run apps in the background.

G

[citation][nom]Major7Up[/nom]I currently have a craptastic Instinct on sprint and was considering the Pre but maybe I will wait a bit longer and see if how this compares. If not, I may wait for the second iteration of the Pre because I do not like the way the current model handles contacts.[/citation]

well if your waiting for the next incarnation of the pre you should check out the pixie from palm its their next phone with the WebOS. the same as the pre except it has a candybar design instead of the slider design.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]toli[/nom]I have a Hero, and I'm very happy with it. One very important advantage is that Android is a multitasking OS (i.e. apps can run in the background - not only one at a time as on iPhone)And almost everything can be changed/altered by downloading apps. If you don't like the SMS-application or call-manager or whatever, it can be exchanged by another app developed by someone else. Apple does not allow this. It can be a bit sluggish sometimes when you've been running a heavy app for a while and exit to home screen again, and that's a consequence of the real multitasking OS, but it's not very bad at all... And well worth the ability to run apps in the background.[/citation]

The iPhone's 3.0 OS can run apps in the background, although running 3.0 on any model other than the 3GS is apperently horrifyingly slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS