Radeon HD 6950 shader unlock instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Since I have not yet seen a good instructional guide on how to unlock the shaders of the Radeon HD 6950's, I figured I'd write a guide of my own. Be aware that this process does entail some risks and is not for everyone.

By now, we have all see loads of posts about how to flash the 6970 bios onto a 6950 card. This is the first guide I believe most of have seen: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

After following the discussion thread, it was learned that some people had been damaging their video RAM after continuous use. It is a small amount, but even a small amount is not good. I believe it was rui0317 who came up with a method to alter a few numbers in the bios that would unlock the shaders, but not alter anything else in the bios. This meant the video ram timings, fan profiles and clocks are all left alone. W1zzard packaged it up in a nice batch file to help modify a BIOS to unlock the shaders. I found that here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137136&page=15

I have personally used the following method on an XFX 6950 reference model, and an MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II which doesn't have a bios switch, and does not function with a reference bios. Others are having success with this method without the dual bios switch and with or without reference boards.

Step 1) Download ATI Winflash: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1919/ATI_Winflash_2.0.1.13.html (The newest version has been reported to not work).
2) Install winflash in the root directory (i.e. C:\winflash)
3) Download the script to modify the bios and extract it: www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip
4) If you have a BIOS switch, set it to the 1 position (switched towards the back of the card)
5) Run ATI Winflash, click "Save" to save your BIOS, be sure to make a copy of this and save it some where safe in case some thing goes wrong.
6) Make a copy of the saved BIOS and rename the copy to "original.bin"
6.a) If you cannot see the file extensions, you need to open the Folder Options in the control panel and uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types"
7) Copy the "original.bin" file to the script folder "Mod_BIOS_HD_6950"
8) Execute the "run.bat" batch file
9) Look in the folder "Mod_BIOS_HD_6950" and copy the file "modded.bin" to the folder you installed ATI Winflash in (C:\winflash)
10) Open up the command prompt (Start->All Programs->Accessories) you may have to right click and run as adminstrator
11) Change to the ATI Winflash directory with the command "cd C:\winflash" or what ever directory you saved it in
12) Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" (the "0" stands for the first PCIe card installed, "1" will work for the 2nd card)
13) Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 modded.bin" (the "0" stands for the first PCIe card installed, "1" will work for the 2nd card)
WARNING: do not turn off your computer until step 13 is completely finished.
You should have successfully installed the modified BIOS. You will see a window pop up to say it was verified and ask you to reboot if everything went as planned.
14) To verify that you succeeded in unlocking the shaders, use GPU-Z and look to see that you have 1536 Unified shaders.

If your system becomes unstable after you reboot, you'll have to reflash the original saved BIOS back onto the card following steps 10-13 and using the "original.bin" BIOS in place of "modded.bin".

If you cannot boot from this card and have the dual BIOS switch, switch it to the number 2 position, and boot up and right before you flash the original BIOS back, flip the switch to the number 1 position.

If you don't have a dual BIOS switch and you cannot boot up from the card, remove the card from your system, install it in a 2nd PCIe slot and install a working card in the first slot. You can then boot up from the first card. After you boot up, you can install the drivers for the 1st video card but not for the one that you just attempted to modify the BIOS on. Do not reboot if requested. Now follow steps 10-13 using the "original.bin" BIOS you saved and using "1" in place of "0" for the commands you type. The "1" is so that the 2nd card is flashed and not the 1st card which is not the one you wish to flash. Be very careful to use "1"s and not "0"s this time, because the card is no longer in the 1st PCIe slot.

If you still have trouble, boot in safe mode, open up the device manager and uninstall the bricked card from the list of display adapters. Reboot into windows and you should not be able to flash the card back to it's original BIOS. (I bricked my XFX 6950 reference card and tested that I could recover from a bricked card, and I could. I had the dual BIOS switch had things gone wrong, but this was a good test incase you do this without a dual BIOS switch).

Good luck, but please be careful and be aware of the risks involved in modifying your BIOS.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

That method is a riskier method, much like the original. You are flashing a 6970 bios on top of a 6950 card. The instructions I posted above does not flash a 6970 bios onto a 6950 card. It alters your existing BIOS by changing 2 bytes worth that determine how many shaders you have. Most people are aware and can find those instructions. However, those don't work on non reference cards (the above instructions do however) and the entail more risk, since you are changing timings, clocks and fan profiles.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

I have personally done the methods in the first 2 posts (matt's method does not work on a twin frozr II).

dinzy

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

I used the mod bios method to unlock the shaders on my Twin Frozr II. Then I just OC'ed it using MSI afterburner using the unnoficial overclock mode.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
It seems that MSI took down the download for their specially altered MSI Twin Frozr III PE OC cards. I still have the download, but I have no where to host it. If anyone wants to host it for me, let me know.

JBacon

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I got a Rom Programming Failure trying to use the newest version of atiwinflash for the process on my Twin Frozr ii. Using the version in the OP link worked though.

Just a FYI for those going to try it.

nightg0at

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Wondering if there is a kind soul willing to send me via email a copy of a clean BIOS backup from the Twin Frozr II using atiwinflash. I tried a different program and the backup I made with it (AtiFlash) is not taking. Im am hoping that possibly a backup rom created using atiwinflash and restored using atiwinflash could do the trick.
If anyone is willing to do so,
I would be eternally grateful.

-ng

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

It's not necessary to email. There is a database of the bios on TechPowerUp.

Here is the database: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

This is the MSI Twin Frozr II OC: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/95881/MSI.HD6950.2048.110126.html

m-audio

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
So if I am understanding this right the method in the op will work on a MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC and not just a 
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

It should work with any 6950. It just alters the existing bios.

m-audio

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Any one by chance have link to a video of any kind?
  Just for reference,This would be my first time trying a gpu alter also thank's for your speedy reply.

hachem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
this does not work on the sapphire hd6950 2GB with no bios switch. i have the same card with the bios switch and it is no problem flashing it. the new version is apparently hardware locked. a shame!

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

In what way does it not work. Were you able to follow the directions and it just didn't unlock the shaders, or did a step fail?

hachem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
the process under command.com just stops with no info whatsoever, or i get the unable to erase rom error under atiwinflash. i have tried both methods, the one with hd6970 bios and the modded bios. i had first the card in the 2nd slot, but putting it in the first did not help either.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

There may be an issue with the latest atiwinflash version as noted by a poster above. Maybe you need to give the old software a try.

I got a Rom Programming Failure trying to use the newest version of atiwinflash for the process on my Twin Frozr ii. Using the version in the OP link worked though.

hachem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
i have no idea what y'all mean with "op link". tried downloading atiwinflash 1.08, nut it does not run: missing critical file! a link would be much appreciated. may i say "much obliged" before i leave the building? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.