RadioShack Re-branding Itself as 'The Shack'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
"This creative is not about changing our name. Rather, we're contemporizing the way we want people to think about our brand," Applbaum continued. "The Shack speaks to consumers in a fresh, new voice and distinctive creative look that reinforces RadioShack's authority in innovative products, leading brands and knowledgeable, helpful associates."

...translation? "We're changing our name...but our salaries are way too inflated to call it what it is and risk not 'impressing everyone'."

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Who the heck goes to radio shack on schedule basis?
This brand needs serious help. The prices suck and they've downsized the electronic components. No wonder it's changing it's name to the
"SHACK."

G

They should really just call themselves Outa Business Shack, thats where they are headed, and have been for some time. You used to be able to go in and buy components, small electric stuff, etc. Then they decided to be the RC car shack, which failed, then it was the Cell phone shack. I havent gone to one in ages. With far superior stores such as Frys electronics (which has its own problems, but its no turd like Radio shack), Newegg, and Amazon- there is no reson to step foot in one.

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I've worked at RadioShack for 3 years now, and I buy things there on a regular basis. I would rather pay an extra $2 there, than drive 20 minutes to our nearest electronics retailer, or wait a week for shipping from an e-tailer. "The Shack" change, however, I do not like. We recently got in posters that we are to hang around the store, and our manager refuses.

G

Can't wait to see Lance's new uniform next year....just imagining the words "The Shack" on where they normally advertise during the Tour de France...it just not right....

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I love it when they have sales. I bought a thermaltake big typhoon there for 5 bucks, a logitech harmony remote for $50, and some other misc stuff on the cheap. I agree normally there prices are sky high, but if you go there at the right time, you can get lucky. LOL. hmmm... THE SHACK??? are you kidding me?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Overall... it doesn't matter what the name is. RS/TS... still a tiny store with high priced junk. Can get better prices at Frys, WalMart and of course Newegg. On their home page, a big giant ad for generic batteries!

I've actually had to go into walmart to buy a part, because RS didn't have it. Or another part that was $5 at Walmart is $15 at RS?

That is WHY people don't go into RS. Nothing you can't buy anywhere else for less. Unless its the only electronics shop in some small town. That IS a good business plan... small stores to service towns with populations of 3000~15,000 people when there is no Walmart for 50+ miles.

But RS in a major city... ouch.

Thinking about the 80s and such... yeah, RS is more worth going into because we didn't have places like best Buy, Walmart or the interent.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
radio shack is just a convenient place to buy a component really quick, otherwise most of their merchandise is known to be overpriced especially their components. fry's carries better stuff for less money because they get supply from vendors like real electronics stores do. I'd always opt for something from NTE over Radio Shack brand any day. Radio shack tends to buy the cheapest value components and mark them up about 100x when they put them on the shelf. It works but the quality isn't on par with components you can buy elsewhere.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
no good. I refer to the Chicken Shack near NU as "the Shack", so unless radioshack starts serving damn good fried chicken they don't have anything on me.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
To me personally, RadioShack is more classy than "The Shack" and I think keeping tradition is important. I just don't see "The Shack" being a great alternative to the current RadioShack.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Not sure whats up here where i live ...But they call themselves,get this,"The Source" here.Usually there's 5 guys behind the counter severing no one.That's maybe one reason the prices are so high maybe.It's more like some kind of make work project.They used to also sell decent speakers and receivers and replacement woofers and all that good stuff.Now it's just crap.Most of the people at my current store act like kids at my location.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
At least now their name is as high quality as their level of employee knowledge about all their products. The last time I was in a Radio Shack was about four years ago, I went in to grab a converter to go from two RCA's to a 3.5mm audio jack. Asked the guy for it, he looked at me as if I was speaking French, and so I found it myself. When I brought it to the register, he rang it up, it was something ridiculous like 7.99, AND he tried selling me a plan on my phone. I walked out, and haven't been back to one since. I even work within 500 feet of one (there's one on the block where I work) and I haven't been there, though I've worked at my current business for almost a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.