Ram issue asus x50gl

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hi. I have notebook asus x50gl with core2duo t5800 2GHz fsb 800 Mhz, and 2x2 GB ddr2 800 Mhz ram. However, the systems sets RAM:FSB ratio at 10:6, so from the cpu fsb -> 200 Mhz x 1.(6) memory is set at 667 (333) Mhz. Is there a way to change the ratio to 2:1 so I can achieve 800 (400) Mhz memory fsb?

Also, everest shows that the memory modules are at single channel, not dual. Are notebooks capable of dual channel at all?

The memory modules are not the same brand (Nanya & PQI). Does that limit the ram fsb to 667 and also the single channel? I am planing of buying new modules (probably patriot) but i am not sure if I should go for 667 or 800 Mhz modules. No use of 800 Mhz if it drops do 667 anyway, right?

SiSandra shows that memory bandwidth efficiency is 48,7%. So i really need to change some things.

Any help is appreciated.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Changing the FSB:RAM ratio is in the area of overclocking, something notebooks are not meant to do. I'm not surprised at all if your BIOS doesn't include options to change them.

The manufacturer may have just included 667 ram to save cash. If you get 800, it will work at 667, so why not buy it and try it? The price difference between the two is only a few dollars.

As for dual channel, that may be a setting in your BIOS. I've seen it before on notebooks. Take a look there.

edit: FSB:DRAM. Didn't mean a smilie to be there.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
yea, all overclock potions are locked in bios. but I found out that with 2GB the system sets ratio at 2:1, hence the ram has 800 fsb :) seems that the reason for the 667 Mhz downclock is that the ram modules are from different brand.
The thing that really sucks is that I can not see if the system will run at 800Mhz with same brand modules,I have to buy them on blind. Thx anyway