mgr1877

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
hi i have a toshiba a100 and the dvd rw drive has completely stopped working have updated drivers and still doesnt work any suggestions thx

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
if it suddenly stopped working, sounds like a hardware issue. How old is this system? Does it make any weird noises when you insert a CD. Were there any major changes to hardware / software around the time that it stopped working?

Need more details, and please title your threads appropriately from now on.

mgr1877

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
sorry about title was thinking about something else at time. System is about 3 years old 50 gig hd, windows vista 512 ram. The drive was making some funny clicking noises at first and i had to insert disk a couple of times before it picked up cd. When trying to burn kept getting errors and wouldnt burn. then suddenly stopped

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
this sounds more like a hardware error if it's making funny clicking noises. Fortunately, replacing a DVD/RW drive is very easy and inexpensive for laptops.

There is usually just 1 screw that holds the DVD/RW drive in place on laptops, try to find that screw and pull out the DVD/RW drive.

Next, head over to eBay and pick out a new drive.

Insert it into the now-empty port, load the proper drivers (sometimes you don't have to) and you should be go to go.

Last I checked new DVD/RW drives were going for like $20-$30...not bad for an easy fix. You might even want to look into getting a Blu-Ray. Or just a plain DVD drive if you don't find yourself burning a lot of DVDs (most people don't)

Cheers.

mgr1877

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Thx will look into it, but thinking towards a new laptop. On another note is it possible to take the ram out of mine and replace it with one out of another laptop

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

It depends on the motherboard. If it is the same type of RAM, then yes. If not, you can always sell it on eBay and essentially exchange it for the type you need.