Solved! Random crashes while on chrome but not while gaming.

Mar 4, 2021
I couldn't find tech support for PC, hopefully that is okay.
Attached is my build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/646CkX), I have never once had this issue while gaming but when I am browsing on chrome my PC would stop responding, first with the video playing and then the audio cuts shortly after. I am still able to see and move my mouse around but I am not able to click on anything or use my keyboard. I tried doing alt+f4 and ctrl+alt+delete but nothing responds. Only a hard reset would stop this issue.

Things I have checked: drivers (updated), cleared PC's temp files, adjusted virtual memory, ran a memory check (no issues), ran a disk check (no issues), and ran system file checker (had one corrupted file but fixed the issue). I also ran a memtest and passed 4/4 with no issues. I am not overclocking anything.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Solution
I'm pretty much out of ideas. You could try a clean install of Windows, but if I were you, I'd stick with Firefox and DuckDuckGo. DDG also has a nifty plugin that gets rid of many trackers and ads. Occasionally it's incompatible with a particular web site, but it's easy to turn off the protection for that website. I don't like being tracked and Google is the king of snoops!

One thing I forgot to ask--when it is locked does Cntrl-Alt-Del work? This is hooked into the kernal at a pretty low level. Since the mouse still works, the processor can't be hung.
What OS are you running? Is everything up to date? Are there any entries in the error log that provide a clue? What happens if you run another browser such as Firefox or Edge? However the fact that you don't get a blue screen and everything is locked up is pretty strange. I imagine you have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome.

Reactions: adotin
Mar 4, 2021
What OS are you running? Is everything up to date? Are there any entries in the error log that provide a clue? What happens if you run another browser such as Firefox or Edge? However the fact that you don't get a blue screen and everything is locked up is pretty strange. I imagine you have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome.
I'm running Windows 10. Everything is up to date as far as I know. I used driver easy to check and update all my drivers. I'm currently on Firefox now and trying to see if issue continues. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome but it did not solve the issue. When I checked my reliability monitor, it was only showing that windows failed to shut down properly because I had to hard restart my PC.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. You could try a clean install of Windows, but if I were you, I'd stick with Firefox and DuckDuckGo. DDG also has a nifty plugin that gets rid of many trackers and ads. Occasionally it's incompatible with a particular web site, but it's easy to turn off the protection for that website. I don't like being tracked and Google is the king of snoops!

One thing I forgot to ask--when it is locked does Cntrl-Alt-Del work? This is hooked into the kernal at a pretty low level. Since the mouse still works, the processor can't be hung.

Reactions: adotin
Solution
Mar 4, 2021

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I've been using Firefox and I haven't had any crashes yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way. There was only one time I was able to enter ctrl+alt+delete but when I tried to open the task manager it went back to the frozen screen and would not open the task manager. I tried to enter ctrl+alt+delete again but it wouldn't go back to the task manager screen.

Edit: It just froze again... It happened on the Firefox browser this time. This time I am able to see in the control panel>Security and Maintenance that there is an issue. "Restart to repair drive errors" "We found errors on a drive. To repair these errors and prevent loss of data, restart your PC now."
I booted it in safe mode and was able to fix the error. I really hope that was the issue.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021
Hey there,

Have you tried deleting the browser cache, history and disabling all the extensions?

Click on the Main Menu > More tools > Clear Browsing Data. Delete your browser cache, history and restart your browser. Also, try disabling any third-party extensions you may have installed. Click on Main Menu > More Tools > Extensions and look for any problematic extensions.

If the problem continues to persist, Hardware Acceleration feature could be the culprit. Turn it off from the Chrome settings as follows:

Type "chrome://settings/" (without quotes) in the Address Bar. Click on Advanced and toggle the switch "Use hardware acceleration when available" to OFF. After disabling this feature, click on Relaunch.

Hope that helps.