Ransome Ware Problem

Ron_100

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
This ransome ware blocks "Settings>Recovery". How can I reformat the hard drive and install a system backup?

Solution
First of all, you need to remove the ransomware software to at least gain more access to your computer. You can do that by following the steps:
1. Restart your PC to "Safe mode with networking"
2. Run a scan with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro and remove any ransomware files.
3. Attempt to do a system restore (Provided you have a recent system restore point)
4. If system restore is still inaccessible, as "Boosted1g" mentioned, you should use your windows bootable and attempt a restoration/recovery through there.

If this doesn't work, I do not think there is a way for you to restore your windows. As for file restoration, you could try Shadow Explorer to find the files that you want. Afterward, do a clean Windows install and remember to...

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Want you want to do is get the Windows installation ISO onto a bootable USB and go from that, when you've booted from that USB format the entire HDD and then reinstall Windows fresh, install the system backup after that.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
First of all, you need to remove the ransomware software to at least gain more access to your computer. You can do that by following the steps:
1. Restart your PC to "Safe mode with networking"
2. Run a scan with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro and remove any ransomware files.
3. Attempt to do a system restore (Provided you have a recent system restore point)
4. If system restore is still inaccessible, as "Boosted1g" mentioned, you should use your windows bootable and attempt a restoration/recovery through there.

If this doesn't work, I do not think there is a way for you to restore your windows. As for file restoration, you could try Shadow Explorer to find the files that you want. Afterward, do a clean Windows install and remember to back up your important files. Good luck!

Solution

An infected windows will still allow the OP to access the factory recovery partition via whatever boot tools the OEM loaded. There are a few malware that has managed to put a rootkit into that partition but this is quite rare.