Status
Not open for further replies.

Hax___

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
ok i got some weird stuff over here.

so i have a mid 2013 razer blade pro, it takes three hits of the power to turn on and when it does only the keyboard and mouse pad turn on, the power blinks like its asleep. no bios no nothing.
fans dont spin either, i connected a hard drive to it (since it takes msata) and no luck with even getting it on.

to me i would think that the mobo has bad power somewhere (i know these laptops are prone to it), i want to know if any of you have some fix before i start pulling boards apart.

many, many thanks any idea is good!

Solution
TBH, I don't even know if you can GET a replacement motherboard for it, except used, and then do you really know what you are getting? Considering the price of these units, if you can find a new motherboard or a used one from a unit with the EXACT same sub-model/options as yours (Which it probably needs to be the EXACT same motherboard model number due to hardware and bios limitations) then it might be worth it.

It might also be worth removing and testing, or taking it to an electronics expert repairman who has specific experience testing motherboards, first. Could be something as simple as a broken solder point or fan cable. Most laptops will NOT power up if there is no signal to the controller from the fan so if the cooling fan has...
Turn off fast startup and hybrid sleep in the advanced power options section of control panel or by doing the following.

To disable Fast Startup: (does not apply if you have disabled Hibernation)

Open up Power Options in the Control Panel. In Windows 10 you can get there from right clicking on the start menu and going to Power Options
Once there, on the left hand side, click "Choose what the power buttons do"
Click "change settings that are currently unavailable" up at the top
Down below under the "Shutdown Settings" section you will see "Fast Startup" check-boxed. Uncheck the box
Click OK

To disable Hybrid Sleep: (does not apply if you have disabled Sleep or Hibernation)

Open up Power Options in the Control Panel. In Windows 10 you can get there from right clicking on the start menu and going to Power Options
Click "change plan settings" next to your current power plan
Click "change advanced power settings"
Click the + sign next to "Sleep"
Click the + sign next to "Allow hybrid sleep" and change setting to "off"
Click OK

Hax___

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

Thanks, but the laptop wont boot....
No bios, nothing

Sorry bud, I missed the part about it won't turn on at all. My bad.

Is it exactly the same behavior whether the battery is installed and just on AC power or if the battery ONLY is installed with the AC power adapter unplugged from the unit?

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery and reinstalling it? Tried REPLACING the cmos battery? Sounds crazy, I know, but I've seen four or five laptops that would not even show the POST screen when the CMOS battery went bad. Worth a try anyhow.

Almost sounds to me like it's ON, but there is simply no display. I'd REALLY recommend tampering with the cable that runs from the motherboard to the display to see if there is a bad connection or a break in the flat cable somewhere. I've seen tens of units with bad cables to the panel that seemed just like you say, black screen but running, and it was simply a bad cable OR in some cases, a failed display panel.

Hax___

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

I have not checked the cmos batt, il give that a go although I doubt that it would have this kind of blowback.

The device is NOT on. No fan spin no boot order. Only keyboard and mouse pad turn on.

Thank you again, and for replying a second time.

If there are NO fans spinning, then I'd agree that you either have a faulty internal power jack assembly or the motherboard is shot. If it was just the CPU or GPU, usually you will get fans on but spinning full speed. So I agree it's likely to be the motherboard, especially if there are no beeps happening.

Hax___

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

That's what I thought, thanks for the for the help.

Do you think the best idea is just too buy a new mobo at this point?

TBH, I don't even know if you can GET a replacement motherboard for it, except used, and then do you really know what you are getting? Considering the price of these units, if you can find a new motherboard or a used one from a unit with the EXACT same sub-model/options as yours (Which it probably needs to be the EXACT same motherboard model number due to hardware and bios limitations) then it might be worth it.

It might also be worth removing and testing, or taking it to an electronics expert repairman who has specific experience testing motherboards, first. Could be something as simple as a broken solder point or fan cable. Most laptops will NOT power up if there is no signal to the controller from the fan so if the cooling fan has died or one of the wires to it has frayed or broken, that might be all it needs. It will be impossible to make a recommendation of this sort without knowing more. It's really going to be up to you and to what you are comfortable or skilled enough to take on.

Repairing laptops is definitely not for the faint of heart, they are usually much more complex to work on than a normal PC, so you'll have to make that call yourself.

Solution
Feb 26, 2018

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue as yours. Just wondering if you managed to do something and get it worked again or did you find another solution? Please share and thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.