Razer Tiamat 7.1 vs Corsair Vengeance 1500

yas33n

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I saw a comparison between some virtual surround sound headsets, The vengeance won.

But I saw that the Razer tiamat has just came out and it's the only TRUE 7.1 surround sound.

Is the tiamat worth the extra money.

Thanks

P.S. for suggestions link U.K. Sites pls

Solution

I very recently also went into the trouble of buying a new headset. I was also looking at the Tiamat 7.1.
What I saw from reviewers and other users elsewhere, is that the true surround sound headsets don't have as good audio quality as stereo ones, due too smaller drivers. I ended up myself buying the none surround sound version of the Tiamat. Razer Tiamat 2.2, it actually has 4 drivers, 2 in each cup and does provide a great deal of audio ques. I can MUCH easier with...

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I very recently also went into the trouble of buying a new headset. I was also looking at the Tiamat 7.1.
What I saw from reviewers and other users elsewhere, is that the true surround sound headsets don't have as good audio quality as stereo ones, due too smaller drivers. I ended up myself buying the none surround sound version of the Tiamat. Razer Tiamat 2.2, it actually has 4 drivers, 2 in each cup and does provide a great deal of audio ques. I can MUCH easier with this headset, figure out where something is compared to my previous, which was stereo with 2 total drivers. And the 2.2 version is almost half the price of the 7.1!
But basically, what I've heard is that a good headset + sound card will provide much better both audio quality and virtual surround sound (if the sound card supports it) then USB virtual surround sound headsets. Those type of headsets use on board chips on the headset themselves, which as you can probably figure out, are quite small.

What you choose is up to you, the true 7.1 does sound really cool, but I can tell from my purchase of the Tiamat 2.2 , that it is a very good headset. For virtual surround I've heard that the Logitech G35's (or G930) are also very good, they are defiantly comfortable.

Solution

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Well, you don't really need one. I don't have one and I think everything sounds just fine. But If you don't have a BIG desire for the true 7.1 surround sound, I would say go for the 2.2 version of the Tiamat or some other stereo headset. Cause the true surround sound headsets, at least that's what everyone says, sound worse then others, because of much smaller drivers.
In my opinion, you should get a USB headset for the wireless capability (Corsair Vengeance 2000 for example, same as the 1500 but wireless), else you COULD lose the chance to use a real sound card, and the best sound quality, if you ever get one.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I personally own the Razer Tiamat 7.1 with a Xonar D2X soundcard.
You really need the extra soundcard, because it sounds much better than on my onboard Realtek.

This is one of the best surround sound experiences you can get in a headset. But remember; it will NEVER be as accurate, or even close to a normal surround set by speakers.

I do however really enjoy the sound. I listen to hardstyle/hardcore music, and the bass is just EXTREME. The extra subwoofer on each ear is able to rape your ears.

Hobouscus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I think getting the vengeance 2000 will make your day cause you won't be needing any special sound card or anything and the driver is a massive 50MM but the thing is it's not true 7.1 just virtual so you'll won't be getting the scary surround sound but still great to be honest. The Tia Mat 7.1 is ture surround the drivers and stuff are all placed specifcally to the cup to probably unleash the 7.1 channels but it's true the drivers in it aren't as big a the one's on vengeance 2000 around 30-40mm but it freakin has over 14 drivers!!!! all together compared to 2 on the 2000 so the sound will be crazy and scary. It requires a 7.1 sound card in your pc in order to hear the 7.1 but soundcards can be as cheap as 30 bucks .
In my opinion Virtual 7.1 Channel is all good and 50mm drivers is just the way to go, get the vengeance 2000 !!
(you probably already bought somethin by now but for other people hehe)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816008

yas33n

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

The 1500 is usb as well its just the 2000 is wireless

SteelRazorBlade

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
ARE U NOOBS FREAKIN' CRAZY? HAVE YOU EVEN HEARD HOW CRAP THE MIC IS FOR THE RAZER TIAMAT? THE CORSAIR VENGEANCE IS 7.1 AND SCREW THOSE STUPID GIMMICKS THAT RAZER PUT IN ABOUT HOW ITS *TRUE SURROUND SOUND*-SAME BLOODY THING, I HAVE THE VENGEANCE 1500 AND MY MATE HAS THE TIAMAT AND I CAN'T STAND HIS STUPID VOICE, HE SOUNDS LIKE A ROBOT!!!

Translation: What Razer do is that they make amazing headphones, but then put some cheap ass mic and stick it on the headphones-whereas corsair, have better quality and are all rounders, also, I have noticed how razer often use their graphic designers to make amazing concept images of their products and get some amazing background image for the concept but when you buy their product and you compare the product with the image....Well, you'll see the difference...

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

Well, thanks for the translation.
I have the Razer Tiamat 7.1. And I agree that the microphone is crappy. First week I got the headset, the microphone sounded crappy, and the next week, it broke. Just stopped working. I RMA'd the headset, and got a new one. (Took them 2 weeks though). Microphone sounded crappy again, 2 weeks later, mic broke on this headset as well. I have a spare microphone that I use now. Didn't want to lose it for 2 weeks again, since I bought it for the sound in the first place.

John Floyd

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I own a pair and let me tell you, I will never and i mean NEVER buy another head set from razor. After not even one month of use the right sub stopped working. The microphone is total garbage no matter what settings you put it on. So if you want to stream with out a push to talk button. Your viewers will hear every time your head moves because of the cheap plastic head set you have on your head will make noises that travel down to the mic. the sound quality for the price is medicore at best for the price there asking. I will say one thing there very comfortable to wear. I should of learned my lesson a few years back when i got the steel series head set because pro cs players were wearing them. The sabiera V1's total garbage from these gaming companies man im telling you.