Razor Kraken headphone surround sound not working?

jrfisher

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
I just received my Razor Krakens and am having a couple of issues.

If I use the two front panel headphone and microphone jacks the microphone is extremely quiet and unusable, however the headphones work fine with full surround sound 7.1

If I use the rear jacks the microphone works fine but the headphones don't have surround sound.

I am considering buying a audio cable extension to have one plugged in the front and the other plugged in the back but I am wondering if there is another fix to this before doing that.

I have a gigabyte mobo, radeon gpu and am using realtek HD audio.

Kendo4life1

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
have you tried just using it with USB?
using it with just USB and making your standard audio output device Razer Kraken (USB speakers) should fix this.
if not, try configuring it to 7.1 in the audio properties

jrfisher

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
The Kraken doesn't come with USB, it has a single cable and a splitter which splits it to microphone and headphones. Also I have set it to 7.1 in audio properties then I test it and only the 2 front speakers give sound, however in the front panel all speakers work.

Kendo4life1

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

update the sound drivers from your motherboard, that should fix it

Kendo4life1

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

you will need your motherboard model, try looking on the site of the manufacturer for the drivers.
if you can't find them there, check what sound card your motherboard has build in and look for those drivers instead.

jrfisher

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014

OK, I will try these and feedback.

Any Idea why only the front jack works for surround sound though? If it was a driver issue I would assume both jacks would be having issues.

Kendo4life1

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

the front panel jacks are directly connected to the motherboard and don't have their own drivers, since your motherboard drivers are up to date, they work properly, but the sound card has standalone drivers, so when you update those they should work.

make sure that if i fixed your problem you select the solution here so that others with the same problem can find the solution here.

jrfisher

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
Downloaded and installed those drivers (2nd one down from your link) and still have no surround sound, I go into realtek audio manager and windows sound manager, select 7.1 surround, click test, and still only the two front speakers work.

Also a side note, on windows sound manager it does show sound being detected for all the speakers (green bar moving up and down) but nothing actually plays from the headphones.

Kendo4life1

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

try it in a application wath 7.1 support, it might just be something with the output.

Kendo4life1

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

try running a game with 7.1 support, something like battlefield 3 should do