RCA Atlas 10 Pro-S SD Card Issue

Markyajv65

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
I have the above mentioned item and I installed a brand new Verbatim 128GB micro SD card while the unit was off. I booted up and checked the storage and it said the SD card was corrupted, I clicked that and it told me I needed to set-up the card for use in the tablet and it gave me two options 1) Use the card for Pictures, Music, Documents etc.. or 2) Use the card just like internal storage (IE:I can install apps etc..) When I click option 2 it tells me the usual "Formatting this card will erase....) I click next and it goes into format mode for about 20 minutes and comes back at me with a message that the card is damaged/corrupted. I power down, take out the card, reinsert the card, power on, get "Card is corrupted" error again. This time I choose option 1 and it works perfectly. Thing is, I don;t want to use that option. Does anyone know how to fix this? I am running Android 7 Nougat. (p.s I have an Amazon Fire 8 HD 2017 and it has the options in settings to move Apps, Pics, Music, etc to the external SD card and that works just fine)

Did you try the card in another device to see if it shows corrupted in there as well? It is completely possible that it is damaged, new or not. So first you need to check it in another device. If it says that again, then I would return it and have them give you an undamaged card.

Markyajv65

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
Webworkings,
Thank you. Yes. I put the card into the adapter and inserted it into my windows 10 laptop. It read it right away and assigned it a drive letter. So the card is fine. Something must be incompatible with that part of the software ànd my card. I am able to put music files and photos on it. But that's not what i purchased a 128gb card for.

Well now you can't just set it up as "Internal" there are steps to follow. I am including those steps below. Trying to do it any other way wouldn't work. See if this allows you to do it...

First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (6.0) or newer, or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a tablet that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer. If that is the case, you will not be able to use this information.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option A

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option B

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

A Final Note: If you set up the card as "Internal" storage, then the data on it will not be readable by any other device. To access the data you would have to connect the tablet to say a computer and copy it over to the computer from the tablet/card. Otherwise only that tablet can read the data. Also, be sure you do not reset (hard or factory) the tablet. If you do, then all the data on the card will no longer be readable, even by the tablet itself.

Markyajv65

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
Webworkings,
The first solution you said is what I had already tried. When I click to format it shows a status bar that starts at 20% after about 10 minutes I get a screen that shows the contents of the SD card. I reboot. Go to storage page shows internal memory and the SD card says "checking" about 15 minutes later it says "corrupt"