RCA Computer Speaker Static

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
So I got some free "KRK Rokit 6" speakers but when I plug them into my computer I get a lot of weird static that sounds more at home coming out of an AM radio under power lines. I've read from some places that cables can sometimes pick up other electrical signals around themselves like an antenna would and that would cause static- but if I plug the audio cable into my phone instead of the computer- and literally place the phone on top of my computer (not moving any wires) the static is 100% gone. Therefore, somehow the static is caused when the speakers are plugged into my computer. I imagine the speakers are somehow picking up signals inside my computer- but I do not know how to prevent that. My pc is custom built, but there is no sound card. I'm just plugging in the speakers into my headphone jack in the I/O plate of my motherboard.

Is there anything I can pickup to prevent this? As you can tell I am beyond beginner when it comes to audio :pt1cable:

ARe the speakers plugged into the same powerbar/outlet as the PC? Could be a ground loop. If they are, then try them on a different outlet maybe. lol.

Bar that, might need a soundcard to help get rid of it if it's a crappy onboard sound that's not isolated well. they are nice speakers, so they pair well with something a bit better than onboard.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Well if it really is a headphone jack that you are plugging them into, that may be the issue. Headphone jacks are high impedance outputs. It would likely distort the audio. Your phone's jack is likely switching the impedance on-chip, which a lot of newer integrated audio solutions do also. You don't have a stereo output on your PC next to your Headphone output?

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Hmm.. Well now I am looking at a diagram for what the different colors coordinate to on the IO panel, but I am not sure which my speakers should be plugged into. The speakers are have red/left/yellow, all coming into one plug. I know red is right, white is left, but isn't yellow video? Anyways, the three wires come together into one and I just plugged that into the green port (headphone/speakers).
I've got purple (side speakers?), black (center/sub), orange (rear), green (line-out?), and blue (line in?).
Sorry if I am being glaringly ignorant, I'm trying to look up stuff as quickly as I can.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The Green stereo speaker jack has three sections also(tip, ring and sleeve). You should be using the Green jack for these speakers. make sure your Gain levels are turned down on the back.(don't use your gain knob for volume changes). It is totally possible that the green jack's driver is blown so you may indeed be delivering an already degraded signal to the speakers, from the PC. A new sound card would confirm that.

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Isn't red/white/yellow 3 sections?

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
And the other thing- If I plug the audio cable into my phone, then the white into one speaker and the red the other, the one with red doesn't output anything. For them both to play from my phone one speaker has to be white and the other yellow.

If I do the same thing and plug the audio cable into my pc instead of the phone, again the speaker with the red cable doesn't output anything.

3_5mm-43-2.jpg

What one?

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Does it even solve the problem of using the red and white plugs for the speakers, then plugging the audio cable into my pc = only white wired speaker works?

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I got the converter, both speakers are working, though there is a small amount of static that is coming out of the speakers, and a weirdly regular pace- like a beat or pattern. Is that caused by my computer's other components? The volume of the static stays consistent, aka same low static if the speakers are muted or pretty loud.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Do you use a wireless internet connection?
Are the speakers plugged into the same circuit as the PC?
Can you change the frequency of the static by aggravating or disturbing the cable and or converter?
Is the static still there when your monitor is powered off?

TRENDING THREADS