RCA Computer Speaker Static

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
So I got some free "KRK Rokit 6" speakers but when I plug them into my computer I get a lot of weird static that sounds more at home coming out of an AM radio under power lines. I've read from some places that cables can sometimes pick up other electrical signals around themselves like an antenna would and that would cause static- but if I plug the audio cable into my phone instead of the computer- and literally place the phone on top of my computer (not moving any wires) the static is 100% gone. Therefore, somehow the static is caused when the speakers are plugged into my computer. I imagine the speakers are somehow picking up signals inside my computer- but I do not know how to prevent that. My pc is custom built, but there is no sound card. I'm just plugging in the speakers into my headphone jack in the I/O plate of my motherboard.

Is there anything I can pickup to prevent this? As you can tell I am beyond beginner when it comes to audio :pt1cable:

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Both speakers are plugged into the same powerstrip.
Aggravating the wires doesn't change the static.
There is static still when I turn off my monitors.
I am using a wired connection.

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I think I found out what it is.
Whenever I refresh my webpage the static comes back.
I think somehow my internet cable is interfering with my audio cable.

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I moved the audio cables as far away from the internet cable as possible and still am getting static which obviously correlates to when I'm refreshing my browser cable. I guess it is then caused by some sort of interference in my motherboard?

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I am starting to realize the static happens even when I highlight stuff on screen.. It must be because I am plugging my speakers into my motherboard's IOs. I bet I need a soundcard or something...

Dyllandry

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I have one power strip plugged into an outlet- and everything is plugged into that power strip. Single cable from each of my two speakers go into the strip as well as the three power cables for my two monitors and pc.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Sounds like some sort of cross-talk\interference on the integrated audio controller. You might do better with a discreet audio card. Doesn't have to be anything special or expensive.