Solved! re-enable wifi in toshiba satellite c650

beks13

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
The wifi on my Toshiba satellite c650 has just seemed to vanish. Have tried installing the wifi driver, tried all threads available where it says to enable it, however it's not recognised at all - in 'my devices' under network there is only the ethernet connection showing. I searched and it says that wifi isn't enabled, however i can't seem to find a way to re-enable it. I tried Toshiba tech support and they just told me everything i've already tried. Would there be something wrong with the wireless card inside the laptop maybe? And why would it just cease to work?
Any answers/help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
It could be that the WiFi card has gone bad. If you have the ability to connect via Ethernet as well, try it and see if it works. If it does, the next step would be to try an external WiFi card (attaches via USB port) and see if it works for you. See if you know anyone who has one and if they will let you borrow it to test. Or you can purchase one (returning it if it isn't what you need or doesn't work). If the external card works for you, then your internal one is the issue. In such a case you can either have the internal one replaced, or just stick with an external one.

NOTE: If the device is under warranty, then it would be best to just let them replace it for you.
It could be that the WiFi card has gone bad. If you have the ability to connect via Ethernet as well, try it and see if it works. If it does, the next step would be to try an external WiFi card (attaches via USB port) and see if it works for you. See if you know anyone who has one and if they will let you borrow it to test. Or you can purchase one (returning it if it isn't what you need or doesn't work). If the external card works for you, then your internal one is the issue. In such a case you can either have the internal one replaced, or just stick with an external one.

NOTE: If the device is under warranty, then it would be best to just let them replace it for you.

Solution
If there are no errors (eg "unknown device") listed in Device Manager (such errors would typically be listed for hardware which has no driver installed) then I agree with previous poster, that device has most likely died.

If it's still under warranty, take that route.

If it isn't, buy a USB WiFi adapter (you can even buy short 'nano' ones now which only protrude about 20mm max).