Re: memtest86 question

Gpapus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
just installed 16gb of mushkin RAM in a early 2011 macbook pro.

i ran memtest86+ v4.2
i got these results (screenshot),
and am not sure if I did something incorrectly or i got a bad module.

i got an error
"unexpected interrupt-halting"
pass 0%
test 10%.
the error took a fraction of a second.

did i make an error, or do i have a bad module?

Solution
Memtest fits entirely within your CPU cache, this is what lets it test your memory in its entirety. What you're seeing is something that went wrong with the memtest execution itself and does not point to a problem with your memory. This could be a problem with the firmware provided by Apple as others have suggested on here. It's unlikely, but it is certainly possible given their aptitude for doing stupid stuff just because they can.

In all likelihood the RAM will work just fine as is and does not need to be tested unless you have problems

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Does the machine actually support 16 gig of RAM? Next, did you buy Apple compatible memory? And finally, does OS X or Windows boot or?

I venture to guess that either the system doesn't support 16 gig of RAM OR, the RAM you bought isn't fully compatible with the system. Remove 1 module and run memtest again and see if you get the same result.

Gpapus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Does the machine actually support 16 gig of RAM? Next, did you buy Apple compatible memory? And finally, does OS X or Windows boot or?

I venture to guess that either the system doesn't support 16 gig of RAM OR, the RAM you bought isn't fully compatible with the system. Remove 1 module and run memtest again and see if you get the same result.

yes, it does support 16gb. many places to proove that for my particular model of laptop.
yes. apple memory, purchased directly from "apple memory" section of newegg. Mushkin memory. I got the correct package.
have not tried to boot yet (OSX), due to my concern of a change of startup settings. this thought is not validated though.

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
There are reports that the newest macbook(pro)s don't support memtest86 on the internet and that is the error that is produced so in this case because of that whether your memory works or not out of the box is up in the air. Your system boots which is a good sign but unless you know someone with a notebook that supports DDR3 you won't be able to run memtest and test your memory until a newer memtest that supports that hardware is released.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
Memtest fits entirely within your CPU cache, this is what lets it test your memory in its entirety. What you're seeing is something that went wrong with the memtest execution itself and does not point to a problem with your memory. This could be a problem with the firmware provided by Apple as others have suggested on here. It's unlikely, but it is certainly possible given their aptitude for doing stupid stuff just because they can.

In all likelihood the RAM will work just fine as is and does not need to be tested unless you have problems

Solution