Rebuilding alienware laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhend5769

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello,
I recently purchased a very nicely cared for and maintained m5500 customized laptop case on ebay. I would love some advice on getting it rebuilt. I am wondering how much can be done with it as far as MOBO's, RAM, HD and the like are concerned. Normally I would just buy a new one but this one is special. Thanks for your advice.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I'm pretty sure motherboards for things like these are proprietary. You'll probably want to contact Alienware about getting the components that fit inside it, or at the very least their form factors so you can look elsewhere.

I don't think you've set a particularly easy task out for yourself.

Alienware was originally made by Clevo (Who also makes Sager, WidowPC, FalcolnNorthwest and most of te other boutique brands) and if ya search online, I'm sure ya can find dozens of Clevo suppliers.

If we talking post-Dell buyout, Dell works pretty hard at making the alptop and server parts proprietary.

Hi :)

If its a later DELL one,,,you are about to be in a world of pain money wise....

I own a lappy repair company and we needed a grahics card for a customer for one a while ago....

Dell wanted £550 plus vat for it....thats £660 or $1042 :( :(

Couldnt get it elsewhere, customer scrapped the lappy...

All the best Brett :)

Jayhend5769

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
First off. Thanks for all your sage advice. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I am looking for a laptop that is not terribly heavy but has enough power it won't be Internet road kill playing a game such as league.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS