Receiving HD over the air. Do I need a tuner or an antenna?

igna86

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I'll keep this very short. I have a new (and my first) HDTV, a Sony Bravia 40". I don't know if the TV has a built in tuner.

What I want to do is receive over the air HD channels that will look good on my TV, the digital signal that I get from Comcast looks blurry/grainy. I do not want to pay for HD because I don't watch much regular TV, but I do want to have whichever channels are available display nicely on my new TV.

Questions:
1. How do I find out if my TV has a built in tuner (it's not listed on the specs anywhere online)
2. Do I need an HD antenna regardless if it has a tuner-do I need to purchase anything else like an amplifier
3. If the HD antenna does not connect via HDMI but with coaxial cable, then how is it HD?

I live in a major city, that is flat and do have towers nearby (less than 35 miles). I know I can get enough channels to keep me happy but I'm not exactly sure how to do this.

Solution
If it is a new TV it will have a digital tuner.

Yes, you will need an antenna. The antenna WILL connect via coax. It is HD because it is an RF signal and those are carried efficiently by coax.

www.antennaweb.org is the place to determine what kind of antenna you need and where to point it. You will want a compass to assist in pointing your antenna.

kanewolf

Judicious
If it is a new TV it will have a digital tuner.

Yes, you will need an antenna. The antenna WILL connect via coax. It is HD because it is an RF signal and those are carried efficiently by coax.

www.antennaweb.org is the place to determine what kind of antenna you need and where to point it. You will want a compass to assist in pointing your antenna.

Solution