Recent Google Hack Traced to Chinese Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]You know... I think I'm gonna wipe all my personal information stored in Gmail and Hotmail right now. Done.[/citation]
Confucius say, too late! I already know who you are and all your personal info. Any the rest of you laughing, I know all about you too!

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
It's possible that the school's IPs could be hijacked, but if it's a school that specialize in hacking/computer science, then that excuse it complete bull and they are lying. You are telling me a top Chinese computer science university can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me.

G

You are kidding me right? Lanxiang Vocational School takes in highschool dropouts and give them semi-skilled labor training (go look at their website – they offer auto repair, CNC operation, computer operation, excavator operation, welding, culinary school, cosmetology, cell phone repair).

Does this sound like a place to recruit China’s best and brightest for cyber war? If this is true we have nothing to worry about.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]It's possible that the school's IPs could be hijacked, but if it's a school that specialize in hacking/computer science, then that excuse it complete bull and they are lying. You are telling me a top Chinese computer science university can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me.[/citation]
You are telling me a group of top IT firms can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me.

G

The information in the NYT report is bogus at best because the stuff that they report is not very accurate, for example; citing a professor saying that their IP's were frequently hijacked, or that this attack could be have been done by a few students, after hearing that and the fact that they don't mention things like 0-day exploits or APT attacks just makes me wonder if they're more interested in the speculation than in reporting... I would like to recommend these articles to get a better understanding of how this attack was done and how they got access to Zero Day Exploits and then used APT (Advanced Persistent Threats) to gain access...

Links:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/operation-aurora/
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/02/apt-hacks/

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]It's possible that the school's IPs could be hijacked, but if it's a school that specialize in hacking/computer science, then that excuse it complete bull and they are lying. You are telling me a top Chinese computer science university can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me.[/citation]
well, apparently one of the biggest websites/companies in the world cant even maintain its own system...

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
NObody finds it suspicious that one of those schools has ties with the chinese military. China's government doesn't tolerate other secrecy than it's own and certainly not privacy. You're going to see the plot unravel to the Chinese government.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
" pei-chen :

jisamaniac :
It's possible that the school's IPs could be hijacked, but if it's a school that specialize in hacking/computer science, then that excuse it complete bull and they are lying. You are telling me a top Chinese computer science university can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me.

You are telling me a group of top IT firms can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me."

You have a good point, but those firms have declared that they were hijacked. Have you head any of those schools until they've been "found"?

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]You are telling me a group of top IT firms can't maintain their own systems? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic crap to me.[/citation]

No they can't because they govt can't even do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 2
L Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
W Streaming Video & TVs 0
K Streaming Video & TVs 1