Recession Finally Smacks Gaming Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

pile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
it seems to me that there haven't been that many great games being released right now. I would say that would contribute to lower sales figures.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't see how sales will pick up, there's no good games out. All the games that have come out this April were mediocre at best.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
On the whole things like games usually do pretty well in a recession since its cheaper to buy a game a play at home rather than go out. Hardware sales can drop as people don't want to spend as much on graphics cards and the games that do come out could reflect the slower growth in consumer graphics hardware advancement but actual software sales shouldn't be affected too bad. Slight rise in piracy maybe but not a big deal imo.

The fact that sales are down from April last year is nothing when combined with the fact that its the second best year of all time. As others have mentioned, its probably due to a lack of any newly released blockbuster or even semi-blockbuster games.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
This article is interesting, but I don't think completley accurate. Console sales are likely to drop, seeing as more people have them already...Also, the amount and type of games released this April is nowhere compared to last year's April, so its natural to assume that sales will be down...

doomhammr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
90% of the games I've bought since the recession began have been used. Why pay for new when I can get the same thing used for less?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
5 reasons to last years sales figures...

1) Grand Theft Auto 4 came out April 29th
2) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue came out April 15th
3) Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out the month before
4) Mario Kart Wii came out April 27th
5) Assassin's Creed for pc came out April 8th

I will bet those 5 games had a decent impact on last year's sales figures.
All we had this year for april was "The Godfather II" and wellll...nothing?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
It's all about game releases and game quality. Like most folks above stated. Nothing good has been released, so why should sales do anything BUT go down? This isn't necessarily a recession issue. It's a lack of creativity issue.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 are going to be massive... Everyone I know in person 'RL' (that games on PC) is buying both of those games, and we all pirate. :)

Blizzard is to cash in once again!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
figures are skewed as these figures dont take into account resale on games (both console and pc games). the recession fears are stupid really sure things will get rough , some "fat" will get cut perhaps this may means we'll only see 100+ games per console in the futrture instead of 300+ .. but well teh 200 optehr pecentage is really jsut a lot of mediocre to crappy gmes any way .

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
also keep in mind , i've gone to buying used games myself , also i currently been playign mroe games on console (used) than pc lately because all teh companoes are relaly holdign back on pc reelases or theya re bundling thier pc games with securom. so i just ahvent seen any thign compelling to buy on pc this year. alst pc games i got were on x-mas (left 4 dead (steam version), mass effect (steam version) , fall out 3 (steam version) , tomb raider underworld (reatail , and thank god edios has NO stupid drm scheme )

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
could this in any way be due to the fact that every body just has all the "next-gen" that they need? a year on more ppl would have bought all the wiis/ps3s/xboxes that they wanted. could it just mean that "next-gen" has become "current-gen"? i mean its not like the "new" overpriced DSi did badly? this may at least be some of the reason, i know the recession would be somewhat to blame.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
It's not a car, it's not a TV, it's not even a computer, it's a game. Just like movies. Why did movies get a good month? Because they had Xmen, Star trek and another one I don't remember. If the movies are bad, you can't compare it to last years releases, because why would anyone go to a movie they don't want to see.

Same goes for games. If a game is bad, why would anyone buy it. The games have gone from being good to being really really bad. We are stuck with games that don't last a day, we've got games that are too easy, too many continues and no game over, too boring, too old that the graphics would look great 10 years ago.

I'm sorry, but games aren't improving at all. I don't buy games, I have my MMO and I'll keep playing that, as the other things on the market are junk.

I don't participially like Blizzards marketing strategy, others love the cashcow model, but I prefer more releases, but that's their strat and it's working for them. I'm looking out to Diablo 3 and well I'll have a look at SC2 too I guess, but I'm not so much into strategy games anyway.

I don't expect it to recover soon, not until we see a good game again. Comparing to other years only works when you expect 10 good games to release and you had 10 good releases the year before.

G

The only reason why their sales were as good as they were this year was due to Hannah Montana holding them up. They should be grateful for what they got IMO. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.