Reciever & HDMI Audio Question.

MkAnthony

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
I have a 7.1 Audio Receiver that only has 1 HDMI port (1080i) and one optical audio port. It is from 2008 lol. Currently I just have an optical audio cable connected from that to my Xbox. I have other devices I would like to use my 7.1 setup with.

If I connect the HDMI from the Receiver to the TV, does every other device connected to the TV take advantage of the Receiver's sound? My TV has 3 hdmi ports, as well as an optical audio port.

I have a Wii U (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), and a digital PVR (HDMI) that I would like to use.

The PVR also has an optical audio port.

Would it work? Or would I have to invest in a receiver that has more HDMI ports?

1 hdmi port.. you did not specify input or output (likely output only)? optical is also likely an input only.

short answer is "no" unless both tv and receiver support hdmi-arc.

do you get true surround sound over optical? some are just 2.0 stereo input and fake surround sound with things like dolby pro logic. if yes, you could just use optical from each device and an optical switch to swap inputs.

or you could just get a new receiver which is more up to date with hdmi inputs, hdmi-arc and similar.

MkAnthony

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
It says HDMI OUT and OPTICAL IN. It supports Dolby Digital Pro Logic II and Digital DTS Surround.

I connected an optical audio cable from the Receiver to the TV and it seems to provide sound for all of my devices.