Recommend me a phone

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I need Wlan internet, full keyboard, touchscreen.
I keep seeing some that say WIfi but have dont have Wlan, whats the difference?
I would like decent color pallet. budget is kind of tight ,120 USD tops?

Also: When I use the internet through my works AP, is it charging me for that? i thought it was for using ATT's internet and data usage.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
g2. I love mine. Owned the original g1 as well and the g2 is a nice step up. I still prefer the g1 keyboard. But over time you get use to the g2 keyboard and it still beats typing on a touchscreen.

The g2 is fast, has stock 2.2 android, decent camera with flash, optical track button, good build quality, and good battery life. Also has WiFi.

Wifi isn't really a technical term, but it is used to describe wireless devices that are within the standard. So a wifi device will be able to connect to a WLAN (wireless local area network).

You should not be charged data usage if you are using your phone over wifi. Data should only be counted against your account if your using data/internet on their network.

with a budget of $120 you're not going to get anything new, unless you are up for a new phone and a plan renewal.

sorry but i agree with dujiao, the touch keyboards on some android phones are better than any of the physical keyboards. when i was searching for a phone i looked at all the models my carrier had (vzw) and i was not impressed. the only one that functioned how i wanted it to was the d-inc.

if the only reason is that the on-screen keys are too small you can either type in landscape mode, use a 3rd party keyboard, or use programs such as swype.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
You never did mention if you were looking to sign a new contract. That will be a huge factor with your budget.

I understand that need/want for a physical keyboard. Swype is neat technology, but after awhile messing around with it I always ended up whipping out my keyboard and typing my text instead. As for the landscape keyboard, not only are the keys still to small but not having that tactile feedback from a physical button still leads me to whipping out the physical keyboard to type.

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

So as long as it says WiFi it will connect to AP's for internet? Alot of the sellers, on ebay, don't know this apparently.

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
ok apparently it is NOT TRUE THAT WIFI EQUALS WLAN. on gsmarena.com many of the phones im looking at say wifi but it says they dont have wlan. my lg incite, has both, which it says it does.