Recommendation between Sony SRS-X99 & Audio Pro Addon C5 with Audioquest Dragonfly Red

alginonuk

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hi

I have researched two options for Hi-Res Audio for my computer, it is used for Hi-Res Music, Spotify streaming, Podcasts, watching films and sound for my TV (PC is used in living room and connected to TV). These two options fit my budget and ease of purchase. I am interested in hearing other options, but I am limited on what I can order due time and which companies I can order from online.

Options

1) Sony SRS- X99
2) Audio Pro Addon C5 with Audioquest Dragonfly Red

My main concerns are sound quality of the speaker and ability to play hi-res music to the optimum. Do you have this setup or similar? Can you recommend it, or another option. Option 2 is also interesting as I can use the Dragonfly red with my laptop and Bose QC35 while mobile, but the audio is possibly not as good as the Sony.

As I said I am short on time to order these products as I am moving abroad and want to take advantage of reclaiming tax. So I would really appreciate quick responses, even if they are short and to the point.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Solution
Best option imo would be a separate USB DAC or integrated amp with built in USB DAC and a pair of speakers rather than a single box which can never give you real stereo imaging.
Having the DAC separate is better since you can upgrade when the tech has moved ahead without changing any other parts of the system.
Price range is an important factor as well as what products allow you to take your tax break.
Best option imo would be a separate USB DAC or integrated amp with built in USB DAC and a pair of speakers rather than a single box which can never give you real stereo imaging.
Having the DAC separate is better since you can upgrade when the tech has moved ahead without changing any other parts of the system.
Price range is an important factor as well as what products allow you to take your tax break.

Solution