Question recommendations for ram upgrade

Aug 1, 2020
I want to buy 2x8GB RAM. My laptop specifications are:

• Product: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
  • Motherboard: HP 86D5
  • Current RAM: (2x4GB) Hynix SODIMM DDR4 2667MHz

While searching, i found it very confusing as there were many things mentioned that i dont know i.e. single or dual channel, can it support higher frequency, etc. Reading about these topics is not really helping and I couldn't find what is compatible with my laptop.

What are the main points that I should look into, while buying new RAM for my laptop?

What RAM should I buy (any direct recommendation) ?

I want to buy 2x8GB RAM. My laptop specifications are:

• Product: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
  • Motherboard: HP 86D5
  • Current RAM: (2x4GB) Hynix SODIMM DDR4 2667MHz
While searching, i found it very confusing as there were many things mentioned that i dont know i.e. single or dual channel, can it support higher frequency, etc. Reading about these topics is not really helping and I couldn't find what is compatible with my laptop.

What are the main points that I should look into, while buying new RAM for my laptop?

What RAM should I buy (any direct recommendation) ?

Do you know why you want to buy more RAM? Seeing how you don't know about the technology of RAM why do you think you need more of it? Have you been checking task manager or something else that showed you were maxing out your RAM?

Aug 1, 2020
Do you know why you want to buy more RAM? Seeing how you don't know about the technology of RAM why do you think you need more of it? Have you been checking task manager or something else that showed you were maxing out your RAM?
I am perfectly a aware why I need more RAM. I have dual booted with ubuntu, and need to run stuffs that consume lots of RAM. Currently it lags so much that it is impossible to do anything.

Anyway, I found that in https://www.crucial.in/ you can select your PC and it recommends you. Sorry that I completely forgot about this thread here. Thanks AlHuneke for mentioning, although I found it myself.

I selected a 16GB crucial stick and its working great. (It might be costly for some, but in my case money was getting reimburshed)

Last edited: