Recommended Free Virus/Malware Protection Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Michigan

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
I have read on different threads regarding good free protections software and wanted to get everyone's opinions. I don't plan on downloading naughty things or going to naughty sites so I'm not worries about picking up anything much. I have heard different combos work like:

Avast and MalwareBytes, or Microsoft Security Essentials? Let me know what you think is best for a new pc build!

Solution
For everyday protection, MSE or Avast are both pretty good. And then when you occassionally have a file that's more suspect, you can run it through an online scanner like www.metascan-online.com or www.threatexpert.com to get a second opinion. They are free and check with tons of AV programs so you don't have to install them. Not something to use every day, but for sure whenever you download freeware or get something suspicious.

rockie_

Estimable
Microsoft Security Essentials + Internet Explorer 11

i ve used this combo for over 2 years and i am virus free . Also avoid programs that install browser add-ons .

Malware , sometimes helps .
Avast is better than MS SE but is adware

rockie_

Estimable

i used Chrome and when i loaded 20 tabs my laptop got stuck cus Chrome is very RAM hungry . i removed it compleatly ! IE 11 protects 95% againts malware but Chrome 80%.

Pure Michigan

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

Just curious but when you say that "avast is better than MS SE but is adware", does that mean it just downloads random advertisements etc? I'm not looking at doing anything crazy on this computer so just trying to get some solid, free software to give good basic protection without slowing down my PC. Thanks guys!

adamwinn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For everyday protection, MSE or Avast are both pretty good. And then when you occassionally have a file that's more suspect, you can run it through an online scanner like www.metascan-online.com or www.threatexpert.com to get a second opinion. They are free and check with tons of AV programs so you don't have to install them. Not something to use every day, but for sure whenever you download freeware or get something suspicious.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.