reconnecting laptop screen, now laptop wont turn on!

garrettd

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
Ive got an alienware m11x, the cable connected to the back of the screen got pulled out and bent. When I plug it back in the laptop wont turn on!

I was using it for a while with external monitors but I updated the video driver and now cant get an image on any screen.

Could a broken cable stop it from turning on? When the laptop screen is unplugged the lights and fan turn on, when plugged in nothing happens.

Any suggestions? Id be fine using externa monitors but thats nlt working anymore :/

Solution
all your left with is fixing the screen then.
you will need to open the bezel and the case and check to see whats broken and replace it.
sounds difficult and expensive but its not really normally this kind of repair will set you back between 20 and 60 depending on parts needed(if you do it yourself). a few screws, some very gentile persuasion and it should just pop apart. if you cant do it then its time to take it to a shop and have them fix it.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
sounds like when you updated the driver you disabled multi monitor support. try booting without the cable attached and 1s you hear the windows logo plug in the vga. it may auto detect and enable the external output.

garrettd

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
The vga is fine, the hdmi is fine.
the lcd screen conector cable is broken.

I can hear my laptop turning on but I cant get any external video to work with keyboard shortcuts. Ive tried my vga monitor and an hdtv hdmi cable :/

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
all your left with is fixing the screen then.
you will need to open the bezel and the case and check to see whats broken and replace it.
sounds difficult and expensive but its not really normally this kind of repair will set you back between 20 and 60 depending on parts needed(if you do it yourself). a few screws, some very gentile persuasion and it should just pop apart. if you cant do it then its time to take it to a shop and have them fix it.

Solution