Recording (music) Firewire interface must be Texas Instruments

OkieDave

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have lurked around this site for quite a while and find it very informative. However, I cannot seem to find anything related to laptops/notebooks that lend themselves to the recording biz.

I need to purchase a laptop, but it MUST have a Texas Instrument Firewire interface for our equipment. Most new laptops do not even seem to offer Firewire (IEEE 1394) anymore. Of course the MacBook Pro does, but it is soooo expensive.

There are several of us musician types that are constantly looking for help with this issue. Don't even think about using an ExpressCard interface with T.I. chips. We have tried that, and it just will not work.

So, maybe we can start a list of laptops and/or notebooks that support the Firewire spec with T.I. chipsets.

Be specific in your model numbering, so that someone can actually find it. If it is a rather old unit that you wish to list, then state that.

Ok, let's have it! Which units work????

Thanks,
Dave

Solution

The MacBook Pro (2009 unibody model) doesn't use Texas Instruments Firewire interface. It uses the Lucent Firewire 800 interface.

Art

frozenlead

Distinguished

This depends a lot on what software you're using. I don't know much about the ExpressCard interface itself, so I can't put any words in on latency, but just because it was a dead end for you doesn't meant it is for everyone.

Artmuzz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

The MacBook Pro (2009 unibody model) doesn't use Texas Instruments Firewire interface. It uses the Lucent Firewire 800 interface.

Art

Solution

OkieDave

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

{EDIT}

Not exactly an huge response, after a month!

Well, I thought I was clear enough, but maybe not.

Any of you that are using a laptop for audio with T.I. chipsets, please respond. I am NOT limiting this to new models, as I don't think there are very many. So, list out some used ones that I may look for! Let's have it!

Thanks,
Dave

biochill

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hello Dave,

maybe it doesn't help much: my iMac from Dec 2008 has a Lucent chipset.

But I think the MB Pros from early-mid 2008 have TI. My company's boss has one, I checked it. These are the ones with metal-color keyboard and two firewire ports (800 + 400).
I am looking to buy one of these myself.

Sven