Recording / PC Gaming 1680x1050 or 1080p

Clownstyle

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi all,

Looking to upload some Overwatch gameplay videos to youtube and wanted to record in high quality. Problem is my native resolution on my display is 1680x1050. Would it be worth me upgrading my monitor to 1080p or does it not really matter?

The monitor I have currently is a Samsung Syncmaster (Yeah It's pretty old!)

---Feel like I need to expand on this a little. I'm not suggesting the monitor will improve performance, but would allow me to record in native resolution of 1080p - Worth it?

Current setup is:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 3X 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C11 2133MHz Dual CHannel

A 7950 should be good enough to record in 1080p while playing, OK... it's 3 years old, but was a good card at the time.

Problem is, I can only record a max of 1680x1050 because that's the only display I have. I could possibly upscale to 1080p, but not sure if that would work? Or if I really need to? Imagine those viewing in 1080p would have some kind of black borders?

Hope I'm making sense.

Solution
Display doesnt matter.
GPU might as both Nvidia and AMD have offered hardware video capture for he past few model lines.
Software capturing will require a beefy multicore cpu, and sometimes a secondary hdd to record to, as you will need to run the game and the capture software.
They also have dedicated capture devices which can eliminate most of the 'capture' load off the cpu as well as capture from other systems such as PS &XB, such as the Elgato Game Capture (this is not a recommendation from me , just an example. I don't use these so cant say how well they work)

popatim

Splendid
Display doesnt matter.
GPU might as both Nvidia and AMD have offered hardware video capture for he past few model lines.
Software capturing will require a beefy multicore cpu, and sometimes a secondary hdd to record to, as you will need to run the game and the capture software.
They also have dedicated capture devices which can eliminate most of the 'capture' load off the cpu as well as capture from other systems such as PS &XB, such as the Elgato Game Capture (this is not a recommendation from me , just an example. I don't use these so cant say how well they work)

Solution