Recovered TV recordings but I can't open the files.

SirLipe

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
So I recovered from a USB some TV recordings with Recuva because I need to format the USB drive if I want to use it so I just recovered the files and now they're in .epg and .props. What now? I can't open those files and I think they're text files. IS there a way to convert them to mp4 or something?

Solution
If your STB (Dish, Comcast, TiVo etc) has the capability to store recordings on external drive, then you can watch these recordings only on that STB box. This is to prevent piracy of TV shows, I suppose.

If you want to record a show - play the recording thru red/white/yellow output of your STB, capture it on your PC (yes, I know it's a hassle).

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from SirLipe : "I need to format a USB drive before I can use it"

SirLipe

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

I promised my friend I would record something on TV for him and I'm just testing for now. When I plug my USB drive into the box next to my TV I have to format it again if I want to use if for recording and when I try to watch those recordings on my PC it says that before I can use the USB drive I have to format it.

If your STB (Dish, Comcast, TiVo etc) has the capability to store recordings on external drive, then you can watch these recordings only on that STB box. This is to prevent piracy of TV shows, I suppose.

If you want to record a show - play the recording thru red/white/yellow output of your STB, capture it on your PC (yes, I know it's a hassle).

Solution