Reddit's Erik Martin on SOPA: "The End Of Reddit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]errorcode99[/nom]wth this is not democratic!! the population should be taking those decisions!![/citation]

This is America. They're only "democratic" on TV. Everything else is governed by money. People want one thing, corporations want another? Screw the people.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Considering some of the other retarded things that have been passed recently, I have a bad feeling this is still going to make it through when they get back around to it. I hope to whatever deity is out there that Im wrong.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
For a country that preaches personal freedoms, and espouses the belief that there is justice and liberty for all; they sure do have a lot of rules regarding what you can and can not do.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If it passes in any form close to the current one, it will kill the internet in general. Companies will start accusing each other of things that gets their sites shut down just to keep a competitor out of the market for a time. Apple will probably accuse Google of infringement just to keep Android repressed and shut down one of the biggest search engines. It will be a total furball of accusations all over the place.

On top of that, the court system, already overloaded with frivolous lawsuits, will see a massive influx of corporations and small businesses trying to defend themselves against false accusations, only to have hearings delayed time and again, stretching out the penalties of simply being accused. A site could be offline for a year or more, killing the business, just because of a false accusation.

Small businesses all over will be totally shut out of the internet. People will be put out of business entirely, with no unemployment to collect because they were self employed. Millions who make their way under their own terms right now will have to go to work for large corporations in order to make a living. (Sure, small businesses make up 80% of businesses in the US, but they only employ about 20% of the people and make up less than 10% of the GDP.) Everyone will have to work for existing corporations, severely stifling innovation and progress. We'll be totally stuck in a noble/serf economy again.

If this doesn't cause a second American Revolution, I don't know what would.

G

If this thing passes, I'll be ready for the second American revolution.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
The funny thing about this bill is that it won't even put a dent in piracy. People who want to pirate will do so; it's impossible to stop. There will be systems put in place to circumvent any filter the government puts in place. This bill will only serve to hurt liginemt businesses, and empower the government and corporations to restrict information.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]This is America. They're only "democratic" on TV. Everything else is governed by money. People want one thing, corporations want another? Screw the people.[/citation]
Of course, the people (outside of the tech-heads on sites like these) are totally unaware of SOPA, Protect-IP and whatever the third one was (basically Protect-IP-lite). The cable news outlets haven't mentioned a thing about it and I doubt they will because it'll cut into their coverage of the Kardashians and holiday shopping trends (of course, their parent companies are some of the lobbyists that are pushing for SOPA).

This whole thing angers me to no end. The idiot senators and representatives are buying the argument from RIAA and MPAA that piracy is destroying their dinosaur business model, which is what they say every time a new tech comes out. They complained the home VHS recorder was going to destroy the film industry, they complained recording radio using a cassette recorder was going to destroy the music industry, they complained the mp3 was going to destroy the music industry, and so on and so on. Not a single one of those things ever did anything other than just change how the industry functioned and, in most cases, made far more lucrative markets than the old model.

I think Gabe explained it best when he stated piracy was a service related problem and not a cost one. Most of the people I know that used to be 'active' pirates have long since abandoned their illegal downloading now that services such as Netflix, Steam, Amazon, iTunes, etc. have made it that there's very little reason to pirate anymore (other than unavailability or just being total cheapskates). There's little reason to set up an overnight (or few night) download (and hope the seeds don't drop out) of a movie when you can just instant stream it from Netflix/Amazon for a buck or two, (similarly why bother stealing music when you can likely get it from iTunes for 0.99 or just listen to Pandora/last.fm). Pirating software and fiddling with cracks/hacks/potential viruses/clicking 3 banners to get a password for the tar.gz/etc just seems like an unnecessary headache when you can get it off Steam, D2D, or whatever very easily (and for ridiculous discounts if you're willing to wait for a sale).

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Legislators should stop sticking their nose in places where they don't belong. There are over 2 billion internet users and a lot of websites, so I don't think any law can make a significant difference, unless they'll find a clever way to enforce it. Otherwise just a few websites will be singled out and shut down.
Taking down a website for a simple complaint is absolutely extreme, it's like putting a man in a coma while the cops gather evidence and prepare for trial.
In the name of progress, patent-related laws should be loosened, not tightened. What kind of world do we live in, where a company can stop another company from selling its products in a specific state, while in the rest of the world it's sold without any problems (ex: Apple vs. Galaxy Tab - Germany)? This is madness and absolutely unfair to the consumer, who cannot buy the product.

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Welcome to Corruptocracy (Ruled by Corporate Greedy Owners), this is not Freedom anymore this is SLAVERY (because the lack of freedom is THAT¡) and if you fight for money and not for freedom you are Mercenary Not a Soldier ¡¡¡... This shit has gone wrong long time ago with the possibility of Lobbys (money that corrupt our Leaders instead of compensate us for not having the Power to defend ourselves against Corporations). DO NOT VOTE FOR REPUBLICANS BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO STEAL YOUR RIGHTS... any company supporting any party should be exposed to know who are really supporting and will punish them by not buying their products.

The Greed and Hipocracy of Corporatecracy / Corruptocracy will destroy your dreams of a free world, we need NEW RIGHTS¡¡¡ NEW RIGHTS¡¡¡ and if this OBSOLETE SYSTEM CAN NOT GIVE US WHAT WE NEED THEN IT´S TIME CHANGE IT¡¡¡

Fck Corruptocracy and their Greed Assholes...

G

[citation][nom]ooo[/nom]Welcome to Corruptocracy (Ruled by Corporate Greedy Owners), this is not Freedom anymore this is SLAVERY (because the lack of freedom is THAT¡) and if you fight for money and not for freedom you are Mercenary Not a Soldier ¡¡¡... This shit has gone wrong long time ago with the possibility of Lobbys (money that corrupt our Leaders instead of compensate us for not having the Power to defend ourselves against Corporations). DO NOT VOTE FOR REPUBLICANS BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO STEAL YOUR RIGHTS... any company supporting any party should be exposed to know who are really supporting and will punish them by not buying their products. The Greed and Hipocracy of Corporatecracy / Corruptocracy will destroy your dreams of a free world, we need NEW RIGHTS¡¡¡ NEW RIGHTS¡¡¡ and if this OBSOLETE SYSTEM CAN NOT GIVE US WHAT WE NEED THEN IT´S TIME CHANGE IT¡¡¡Fck Corruptocracy and their Greed Assholes...[/citation]

It would be a Democratic President signing SOPA into law, and a Democratically controlled Senate passing it. I don't see how you get to typing in all caps do not vote for Republicans when it's only through the will of the Democratic party that any such law could pass. There is 0 possibility that the Republican party could pass SOPA without Obama backing it, or a 2/3 vote in the legislature, which would require a lot of Democrats.

So I know if SOPA passes, the only possible presidential candidate who'd fight to repeal it is Ron Paul. A Republican.

G

if this bill passes america will fail as a country, if technology cant be freely expressed/used without consequences then there cant be developments, but i can just see now how Europe might just take this opportunity and totally dominate the america in the technology field, cuz lets face it how many nerds will america have in the future? fewer. Europe might get allot more nerds due to people moving cause they need internet for work or something etc....

IF this bill passes i hope europe steps up

Status
Not open for further replies.