Reinstalling win 7 (no cd)

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. i was thinking about getting an SSD but was wondering how i would reinstall windows 7 because my laptop didnt come with a CD. I have the product key on the bottom of the laptop.

thanks!

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
You're going to have to burn an iso disc or make a bootable usb drive with whatever version of windows you have. Just google windows 7 home premium 64 bit (if that's what you have) and then download the iso and burn it to a disc.

It's easier to buy a USB powered external DVD ROM. You might also like to look at the laptop's service manual to see how hard it is to remove the hard disk. Some come out of hiding underneath quite easily but others are built in and real b***ers to get at.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
ive read that laptops preinstalled with windows cannot be reformatted using a genuine windows cd because it is OEM. If i try to use my laptop product key on a genuine win 7 cd it wont work. any truth to that?

geofelt

Distinguished

No truth.

As far as I know, all windows dvd's are exactly the same being either 32 bit or 64 bit.
What gets installed/activated is determined by the product key on the bottom of your laptop.
Since windows ie 32/64 bit agnostic, you can even make that change.
You can borrow a dvd, or dowhload a copy. Just make certain that it is from a legitimate source.