Reinstalling Windows 7 on a Laptop?

randomnamexd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Alright, so I have an Hp Envy 14 CTO 2000, and I wish to reinstall windows 7, though I do not have a recovery disk. I was wondering if it would work, if I used the OEM disk I have currently to install Windows 7, and then reinstall all the drivers from the website?
Or would there be a risk involved? Because I suspect that before I install my Graphics driver, my switchable graphics would not work, and I could run on my more power using GPU, causing extreme heat and massive power use.
Any information regarding this subject will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution
You can push f11 at startup to do a factory restore, or burn recovery disks using HPs recovery program. The OEM disk should also work. I don't know which gpu it will default to...

But it doesn't matter. GPUs don't use much power at idle anyway. They is no "extreme heat or massive power" issue.the integrated gpu just uses less and its already there so they use it to extend battery life a little

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
You can push f11 at startup to do a factory restore, or burn recovery disks using HPs recovery program. The OEM disk should also work. I don't know which gpu it will default to...

But it doesn't matter. GPUs don't use much power at idle anyway. They is no "extreme heat or massive power" issue.the integrated gpu just uses less and its already there so they use it to extend battery life a little

Solution

randomnamexd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Well, I'm more concerned about the heat, about the GPU, because when I use it at max, the laptop gets really hot.
As for the factory restore, well I had a problem with the partitions, and I don't happen to have that restore feature :/
Thanks.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

You can order restore disks from HP support for few bucks. Probably 10-15. Heat and power on CPUs/gpus and in general electronics don't ramp up till you apply a load. Since it only switches to the dedicated gpu when there is a load I could see how you be concerned, but it won't really be significant. You could run on the dedicated gpu all the time, most older ones to. Just slightly lower battery life