Reinstalling windows 7 problems

HPpavGG6

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Hello everyone I will try to be short!

I am trying to fix a laptop for a friend but it's really complicated...
- His keyboard is not working and I am 90% shure it's a hardware problem so, it needs to be replaced or it's something wrong whit the motherboard. Anyway he buyed an external USB keyboard and everything was fine before a few days...

Now I need to reinstall the windows via usb flash drive, but I simply can't hit any key because the USB keyboard is not working during the Message appears:
"Press any key to boot..."

In other hand accessing the BIOS is not a problem, but there are no options for USB legacy or anything like that....

I have tried to attach the HDD to my desktop computer and installed windows on it, but it still didn't worked after placing it back in the laptop.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

mauxie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
installing windows on one machine will not work on another because the installer reads the motherboard
and installs drivers accordingly. the install must be performed by exactly the same motherboard.
if you have install media, and any windows functions, partition the hard drive with an install partition
(only large enough to hold the files from the install media) and perform the install from the partition.
leave the usb keyboard plugged in at all times.
good luck.

HPpavGG6

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
The problem is that the internal keyboard is not working and the usb keyboard is not recognized as well when I need to hit any key to start the installation of the windows. But I can access the BIOS with the USB keyboard.

Is there a way to make that USB keyboard work and start the installation. (There are no options for USB legacy in the BIOS)

mauxie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

a 3.0 usb port needs a system to operate. a 2.0 is powered by the mobo. make sure the usb keyboard is not plugged into a port
that is colored blue(3.0). 2.0 ports usually have the old fashioned usb symbol. keyboard should work in a 2.0 port always. I have
had trouble with usb installs when the flash drive was plugged into a 3.0.