remote access for Windows Server 2012

AlejandroMatamoros

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
Hello there,

I have a dedicated Windows Server 2012 server, and I need remote access from a PC from a Mac OS X simultaneously.
Today, I use Remote Desktop Connection on the Mac and TeamViewer on your PC.

The problem is that the PC loses connection when Remote Desktop Connection is closed!

What is the solution for either the PC or the Mac or the two at the same time to access the server desktop?

Is there a setting that allows TeamViewer this?

Should I use or purchase additional software? if so, which one?

In short, what is the best solution to this problem?

Thank you!

Solution

Yes this is possible, but you must upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 (Windows 8.1) if you haven't done so already. Unlike...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Hi,

without having the Terminal Services / Remote Desktop Services role installed, configured, and licenced a single user can only be logged in from the console or one remote at a time.

If you log in at the console, and then log in remotely, the console will be logged out.

If you log in remotely, and then log in through another remote, the first remote will be logged out.

If you log in remotely, and then log in at the console, the remote will be logged out.

Windows Server does allow for two users to be connected remotely at once without the Terminal Services / Remote Desktop Services role installed and configured. I believe that the machine Administrator account is always allowed to log in remotely if remote connections are enabled.

AlejandroMatamoros

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
Thank you for the answer!

As I am quite ignorant on the subject, I would like confirmation on being able to use RDP, stating that:

The goal is to access the server (windows 2012) simultaneously with one PC and one Mac on the same session, to access the same software, and on the same instance of the software. (eg suppose on the server there is an excel spreadsheet open on the desktop, so I hope that two remote users to simultaneously view the same spreadsheet and to get involved on it ...)

Can you confirm to me that this is possible with a reconfiguration of RDP?

What should I do on my server?

Thank you!

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Yes this is possible, but you must upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 (Windows 8.1) if you haven't done so already. Unlike Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 is not considered a new product and an existing Windows Server 2012 licence can be used.

The tool that you're looking for is called Remote Desktop Shadowing. It's the same as Remote Desktop Assistance in older versions of Windows. I believe that you might need to have Remote Desktop Services installed for it to work though. There are several guides available on how to setup shadowing.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

The functionality built into Server2012 will be far better, faster, easier, cheaper than any 3rd party tool.