Remote PC fix via Ethernet or not?

emax4

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I am in the further planning stages of starting my own computer repair biz, focusing on junkware removal and hardware upgrades. I'd like to pride myself on quick service at reasonable prices but I need help in picking out things, and general advice.

I will charge by the hour for junkware removal. Starting up a badly infected computer and lack of Windows responsiveness will take time. Based on those things, can I connect my laptop and my clients laptop via a switch and gain access to removing any of the clients PC crap remotely (via the network)? Or will I have to physically use their PC to manually remove known junk first via the Programs pane in Control Panel? I know when I use Malware bytes I can search other drives for junk, but I don't know if I can do it over a network. Also I'd like to use CCleaner and do the same (at the end) but am not aware if I can do that remotely from my laptop either. But...

My other idea was to simply remove their desktop or laptop hard drive and connect it via a hard drive dock using eSATA or USB 3.0 from my laptop. I would have to purchase a PC/PCMCIA card with USB 3.0 OR eSATA ports. With that setup can I still remove junk off of the other hard drive connected to the dock, or do I have to manually go in to the other computer and remove stuff only from the infected PC? What type of setup would be economical and yield the fastest turnaround time for my customers? Thanks for your time!

Evertech

Estimable
Jul 14, 2014
What I do the quest and most efficient way at least for me is I got on my laptops a Optical Driver replacement for a 2.5mm laptop hdd. So i can just pop in their HDD and do work like that. Run all the CCleaner Malware rootkits programs all that in a flash.

Also so instead of having to use a External hard drive for a 3.5 (Optical wont power it) I have a dual usb sata connector thats does the power and connect a sata to the disk drive. Its makes things cake!

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Removing an infected drive and scanning it will find and remove infected installer files and other infected files, but won't fix registry entries, program groups, or otherwise effect a total removal and repair.
Killing malware is a highly variable task; some goes easily, and other infections will fight you tooth and nail, and may justify a complete wipe and reload. While you should have (and use) alternate media to save as much of their data as possible, a reload will almost certainly require the customer to have original installation media. If, as on many newer PCs, the customer is required to create that media, you might be SOL on a badly infected machine if that was never done. If you're lucky, a factory restore partition will exist and be usable, but you'll still need to have saved their data first. Obviously, you'll need to be very careful when networking your known good machine to another one known to be infected.

At worst though, you should be able to use a USB or eSATA dock to read the data off of the customer's drive, but reloading Windows (if damaged beyond repair, a distinct possibility) may require a new Windows license. If the machine is still under warranty, you may be able to get the manufacturer to send media, since it would be keyed to only their machines.

emax4

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the replies and help! I was assuming that it might be a two-step process; t'shooting the bare drive then t'shooting it in its originating PC. But I was optimistic on that, haha. I dont have to emphasize a quick turnaround but it would be an edge over the competition. My other idea was to try and make a universal Win 7 OS on an external SSD, but with the registry issues you mentioned, that won't work.

Ah well, looks like itll just be limited to the custys PC. I already have a snall notice on my site that if the main issue (virus or similar) can only be fixed by a reformat and reinstall (last resort), that I discount a complete service for it.

Still, like a car uses on board diagnostics to diagnose some things, it would be great if PCs used something similar. Maybe there IS a way and I'm just ignorant or uninformed about it.