Removal of DRM May Prevent (Some) Music Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
1$ a song for beatles or rolling stones or chuck berry... or 1$ a song for the latest crap it shouldn't work that way. good music should be more costly than crappy new pop songs.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Even if piracy rates remained the same or increased slightly, you save money by not including DRM. No development costs, no license fees and no class actions.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Never bought a track with DRM, never will. I support the artists I like by going to their gigs and getting their T-shirts. Most of the bands I like aren't signed to RIAA labels anyhow so their whining means nothing to me.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I don't give a flying toss about music, but at least get rid of those STUPID and ANNOYING adverts on many DVDs and Blurays you are forced to sit through before you can get to the content you actually willingly paid for!!
One recent disk I purchased, you know, GAVE the distributor my money for, forced me to sit through a[bleep] ad for a chocolate bar and another for something else I can't remember (what an effective ad) sandwiched between 3 non-skipable movie trailers and the usual 'don't copy our [bleep]' warnings!
When the industry treats its customers like that its no wonder that people revert to piracy, or at the very least rip and copy JUST the part of the disk they want, you know, the bit of it thats the ACTUAL MOVIE minis the stupid warnings and adverts for [bleep] I don't freaking want or need or am even slightly interested in!

Edited by moderator: please do not use insults at Tom's, thank you.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
lol, what a crock study. DRM, or a lack there of, has little to do with piracy. People pirate because they don't want to pay for something. DRM only slows them down for a few days every time they find a new way to encrypt the product.
What causes people to steal music is that they have absolutely no moral compass in this area. They have no concept of the difference between the crap like that stupid Friday song, and real music. They see absolute tripe out there for free, and then think all media should be free. Add to that a system that is truly and utterly corrupt (at least in the music industry) and it just gives people an excuse to justify their actions. If the industry cleaned up their act and paid the artists what they deserved, and the artists weren't so clueless about how to run a proper business and not get raped by the big publishing houses, it would go a long way to allowing cheap readily available music which people would WANT to pay for.
I personally had aprox 40GB of illegal music (on top of what music I owned), and got rid of it about 8 years ago. It has nothing to do with the industry. It has everything to do with personal integrity, and being a man instead of a whining little selfish brat.

ryu750

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]lol, what a crock study. DRM, or a lack there of, has little to do with piracy. People pirate because they don't want to pay for something. DRM only slows them down for a few days every time they find a new way to encrypt the product.What causes people to steal music is that they have absolutely no moral compass in this area. They have no concept of the difference between the crap like that stupid Friday song, and real music. They see absolute tripe out there for free, and then think all media should be free. Add to that a system that is truly and utterly corrupt (at least in the music industry) and it just gives people an excuse to justify their actions. If the industry cleaned up their act and paid the artists what they deserved, and the artists weren't so clueless about how to run a proper business and not get raped by the big publishing houses, it would go a long way to allowing cheap readily available music which people would WANT to pay for.I personally had aprox 40GB of illegal music (on top of what music I owned), and got rid of it about 8 years ago. It has nothing to do with the industry. It has everything to do with personal integrity, and being a man instead of a whining little selfish brat.[/citation]

LOL

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]I don't give a flying toss about music, but at least get rid of those STUPID and ANNOYING adverts on many DVDs and Blurays you are forced to sit through before you can get to the content you actually willingly paid for!!One recent disk I purchased, you know, GAVE the distributor my money for, forced me to sit through a fucking ad for a chocolate bar and another for something else I can't remember (what an effective ad) sandwiched between 3 non-skipable movie trailers and the usual 'don't copy our shit' warnings!When the industry treats its customers like that its no wonder that people revert to piracy, or at the very least rip and copy JUST the part of the disk they want, you know, the bit of it thats the ACTUAL MOVIE minis the stupid warnings and adverts for shit I don't freaking want or need or am even slightly interested in![/citation]
And people always say that the pirates don't see that warning

toxin440

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I have no problem paying for a movie, music, or software if you make it WORTH it.

Wanna know what increases value?

Ease of use (no DRM - duhhhh)
No Advertisements (this is why I'm giving you money in the first place)
Wanting all of my information for a simple transaction.

I'm glad I stopped paying for movies - seems the latest scam is even if you spend 20 bucks for a DVD or Blu-Ray, you get to sit through more ads. Sorry, but I'll keep my money and find a different source for what I want if that's the way it's going to be. Same thing with the actual movie theaters -- for two people it usually costs 50 dollars for a night at the movies. You would think for that much money the movie starts on time and without 20 minutes of advertisement.

When a business stacks the deck and treats me like a criminal for using a product I paid for in the manner I want to use it, they lose my business for life. I work hard for my money and I'm not going to waste it helping line the pockets of a company that treats everyone like crap.

Put it this way -- what if you buy a standard nice car for $20,000 and every time you get in it to go to work/school/etc the GPS screen pops up and forces you to sit there for 60 seconds watching the latest advertisement for service or other crap?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]lol, what a crock study. DRM, or a lack there of, has little to do with piracy. People pirate because they don't want to pay for something. DRM only slows them down for a few days every time they find a new way to encrypt the product.What causes people to steal music is that they have absolutely no moral compass in this area. They have no concept of the difference between the crap like that stupid Friday song, and real music. They see absolute tripe out there for free, and then think all media should be free. Add to that a system that is truly and utterly corrupt (at least in the music industry) and it just gives people an excuse to justify their actions. If the industry cleaned up their act and paid the artists what they deserved, and the artists weren't so clueless about how to run a proper business and not get raped by the big publishing houses, it would go a long way to allowing cheap readily available music which people would WANT to pay for.I personally had aprox 40GB of illegal music (on top of what music I owned), and got rid of it about 8 years ago. It has nothing to do with the industry. It has everything to do with personal integrity, and being a man instead of a whining little selfish brat.[/citation]

pirate a game - no system breaking (some drm is) drm, and ability to play it without being connected to the internet (ubisoft)

pirate a movie (lets include ripping your own copy here as mpaa sees it as the same a pirateing) - don't have to deal with any bs dvd menus or waiting 1 minuted for the dvd to load, another 2 minutes before it gets to the options, and after all that another 2 minutes for the "dont pitate this" crap. and thats if you dont get a dvd with those unsinkable trailers....

pirate music (include ripping your music, as riaa sees it as the same as pirating) - you get it in a format of your choosing, that isn't limited to a cd player, or only one mp3 player (i have 3, one for my car, one for my home stereo and one for me taking with me to places.) and in the case of ripping i can rip to flac and get a higher quality than mp3 version of the music. and i also dont like buying a lower quality (mp3 acc whatever other formats) and i dont like buying the uncompressed because those usually have even worse restrictions

i just listed many reasons for pirating/ripping/cracking, without going into cost. which you can do, and it would usually be a very valid argument, like why does a pure digital format costs much if not more than the physical when you are getting less for your money.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]1$ a song for beatles or rolling stones or chuck berry... or 1$ a song for the latest crap it shouldn't work that way. good music should be more costly than crappy new pop songs.[/citation]
Except that good music is entirely subjective so you can't do that. Some people can't stand the Beatles at all and say their music is not good and NOTHING you say can change their opinion, just like nothing will change your opinion that they are good.

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Can you still get music with DRM in it? As far as I know its just the digital rental stuff now like Zune or Kindle library lending, so I'm curious if this study has just proved whats already happened.

Games could certainly benifit from removing DRM though, I was kicked out of Assassins Creed 2 about once an hour and my nets fairly stable. If I would have just pirated it I wouldn't have had any issues.

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Actually, all of them are, half of those just don't realize downloading free MP3s off the web could be illegal[/citation]

You are accusing me of stealing. I have never downloaded an MP3 I didn't pay for. I also wont buy music with DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.