remove TROVI malware in Firefox

weybrew

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Somehow I have managed to get Firefox infected with TROVI malware. Following your guide to removing this I tried Malwarebytes... it found nothing. Then I tried AdwCleaner and it found multiple PUPs and succeeded in removing all but one item "search-shield.com." I tried searching for this item but was not successful. What exactly is this and how can I remove it? 2 AdwCleaner scans found it but neither time could it remove it.

Solution
Go to Programs and Features and uninstall Search Protect.
During the uninstall process you may be asked to Revert to my original settings, click on the Uninstall button
Download Malwarebytes and save it to your PC.
Close all open windows including browsers.
Locate and double-click the downloaded file mb3-setup-consumer-xxxx to start the setup.
Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.
Once installed, Malwarebytes will automatically update its antivirus database.
Click on the “Scan Now” button to scan your system. You could also perform the scan in Safe Mode, so nothing will interfere with the scan process.
When the scan is completed, the scan process can take a while, click on the...

jojesa

Distinguished
Go to Programs and Features and uninstall Search Protect.
During the uninstall process you may be asked to Revert to my original settings, click on the Uninstall button
Download Malwarebytes and save it to your PC.
Close all open windows including browsers.
Locate and double-click the downloaded file mb3-setup-consumer-xxxx to start the setup.
Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.
Once installed, Malwarebytes will automatically update its antivirus database.
Click on the “Scan Now” button to scan your system. You could also perform the scan in Safe Mode, so nothing will interfere with the scan process.
When the scan is completed, the scan process can take a while, click on the Quarantine Selected button.
All the malicious files and registry keys will be quarantined
You may be ask to restart your computer.

Solution