Rendering videos with Sony Vegas Pro 13 are in bad quality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
I don't even know anymore. I looked for every video out there explaining the best rendering settings possible and still. I see this pixelation and loss in quality when I render it. I tried pushing the bit-rate up and that didn't do anything at all. I even tried putting it to 2-pass and that didn't even do anything.

Here are my rendering settings.
http://prntscr.com/4k4q4r

Could there be something interfering with the quality?

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

I did tested that yesterday, made no difference. I could try again but since I was told many times to put it to two-pass by other people, I highly doubt it'll fix the issue.

The other thing in mind right now is probably my ISP. I don't know how an ISP could screw up your quality as I recall my other friends uploading videos with better quality than mines but still have the same ISP as me. Is it best I ask the ISP about this issue?

Don't believe the ISP has anything to do with the problem. Are your friends using the same recording software and editing software with the same settings as your friends do? Are the results the same with a different game or anything else you have recorded?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
If I may be honest here, I think your video on Youtube looks about as good as you can get without uploading in 4k. Even professionally produced shows have that same quality. Don't forget that Youtube processes and converts their videos on their own, and applies compression to them, so it's not going to look exactly like the original, uncompressed version. Youtube offers this page for optimal encoding settings, why don't you try them and see if you get better results?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

If not I honestly think the issue is Youtube's encoding process and not anything you can control otherwise.

(For the record I was viewing this on a 1080p, 27" monitor)

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

One of my friends are using Dxtory with the same settings. The others are using Fraps to record their content. The reason why I like Dxtory better is due to the fact you can adjust the audio levels of your speakers and your microphone seperately.

My friend seems to be getting somewhat better results by using the same programs as I do but he also complained about having the same issues as me. The others that are using Fraps didn't mind about their quality that much (since they started to learn how to make videos from me as well as starting out their Youtube Channel not so long ago.)

Funny thing I need to point out is how my older desktop (with an AM2 CPU and a AMD GPU), seems to render somewhat better than my laptop. I remembered I rendered this one video with OpenCL and it seem to do the job better. The ironic part is how a horrible desktop like that could be able to render out better than a laptop with all up-to-date hardware.

This scratches my head for a while now and so far, no one seems to be having this issue as I was explaining it back a while ago.

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Here's the thing.

If it could possibly be the Youtube encoding issue (which kinda sounds reasonable enough), how come bigger Youtubers like the Yogscast and Pewdiepie seem to get REALLY outstanding results. It just doesn't make any sense. I know both of them must have good computers that can get the rendering done and I even have one myself but instead, I get horrible results when it comes to rendering content.

I'm gonna try to match up most of my settings to Youtube encoding settings to see if it resolves it, if it doesn't, I'm just gonna stop trying.

By the way, what format should I upload this in?

Main Concept or Sony AVC?

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Ok, rendering it with Sony AVC loses the quality after rendering it again. It looks REALLY blurred for some reason. Main Concept seems to render better results except it loses more detail for example in a game where it has hills or trees in the background. It would have more detail in the raw file but after rendering it, it loses that sharp detail in the background and makes it really blocky.

Uploading to Youtube would be even more horrific since Youtube's encoding is not the best.

Any other things to try?

I'll give it some thought and look into it. If I were a gamer and I used Sony Vegas I would be better able to help you. The only screen capture video I have uploaded was done on a Mac and it was a tutorial. Everything else was shot with a video camera. How large is the raw file? I could download a trial version of Vegas and see what I could do with it. If nothing else it would be something new for me to learn and experiment with. I could also test it with a less expensive program just to see how the output would look. Of course you could record a short clip and let me experiment with that one. Just a thought.

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

Sorry for the recent late replies, (really busy with school this week).

I tried rendering my video with MainConcept with the Deblocking filter checked and Two-Pass on, and it seemed to actually fix the problem, (except it still didn't retain the sharpness that was once with the raw recording and having to bear with longer rendering times.)

Now there's just this one problem where the Youtube encoding screws up the video's HD quality and makes it look like poop. So how would I go about fixing this issue?