Repair Cracked 82" Samsung Screen or Replace for $800 more?

ljsummerlin

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
We returned home from a vacation and found that the screen on our 82" Samsung TV (Model UN82MU8000FXZA) was internally cracked. We have no idea how it happened; no one had access to our house while we were gone and the TV was working fine the night before we left. The TV was purchased in July 2017 and is still under warranty, but of course the warranty doesn't cover physical damage. I sent in photos to Samsung and they are evaluating whether it could have been caused by overheating, but I don't hold out high hopes that they will do anything for us.

Geek Squad gave me an estimate of about $2400 for parts + labor to replace the panel. The 2018 model of the same TV would be $3200.

I understand that the TV has to be almost completely disassembled and reassembled to replace the panel. I'm wondering if there is a higher risk that something could go wrong afterwards. (Or, since we don't know how the screen cracked in the first place, could it happen again?)
It would be very disappointing to pay $2400 and then have another issue within a year or two.

The technology might be a little better in the new model, but there are no significant differences in features compared to our current model.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Lisa

If there are no marks on the outer part of the screen they can't say that you broke it.
Search online to see if anyone else has had the same problem with that model Samsung. That will give you some ammo when they get back to you.
You may be able to get the TV repaired cheaper from a local shop rather than Geek Squad.
Personally I would be more inclined to buy a new TV. The repaired TV would not have a warranty except possibly the replaced screen so if anything else went wrong you would have to spend even more.

Aug 16, 2018
is that true? no damage physical damage on the outside? we had the same issue. we came home and the tv has a huge crack on the inside. we dont know how it got there. I am so nervous!!! I haven't even had this tv for a year

ljsummerlin

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
We sent photos in to Samsung; they will not send anyone out to look at a cracked screen. The photos were evaluated and their assessment was that it was caused by physical damage. But there were no signs of damage on the outside. The TV was wall mounted; there's a stairwell on the other side of the wall and I do know that my son threw something that hit the wall in the stairwell just before we left on vacation. I wondered whether that could have caused the issue, though that supposes that shock waves traveled through the stairwell wall to the living room wall on the other side, into the TV mount, and then resulted in a crack in the corner of the screen (not where the mount attaches). But anyway, we had no proof (because apparently no marks on the outside is not sufficient proof) and decided not to fight it. We watched for a good sale and replaced the TV. Ours was less than a year old too. I hope this one lasts longer.

to the thread starter do you know what really happened??? your tv glass broke the same as a beer glass does when it heated or cooled to fast and not over the whole area at the same time. with summer heat and ac the wall or the tv glass did not expand evenly and it snapped. at hit on the tv will cause a blob around the hit. glass that snapped from defect or heating/cooling to fast will have a break but the video on the panel will be fine. if you still have the tv speak with a level 2/3 rep the larger the tv are the esser they are to stress snap.