Replace motherboard in gateway nv5207u

tcove

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hello,
can anyone advise what the correct replacement motherboard would be. got this refurb as a gift 18 months ago. video died. I don't know what to replace this with. please help.

bavarians6

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Speaking as someone who has replaced a laptop motherboard before, you're better off buying a new laptop. The new part will be $150-200 to pick up, and then you've got the headache of actually replacing the thing. This involves completely disassembling the laptop and then re-assembling it.

I've done it before, but it was incredibly frustrating and time consuming. It was only worth my time because I had two identical laptops. Neither worked properly, and I had to marry parts together to get one working laptop out of the two. This allowed me to figure out how the thing was put together by taking one apart first, and then using that knowledge to carefully disassemble the other one and replace the things that needed replacing.

All laptops are put together differently. Finding a guide for how to disassemble that specific laptop will be very difficult. The best suggestion I can give for finding a how-to for it is to search for a factory repair manual for it. If you can't find one, then you could try your hand at taking the laptop apart with no instructions and figuring out how to put it back together yourself.

Wish I had better news for you, but that's the state of things. Honestly, you'd probably be able to get a refurbished or used laptop somewhere for only a little more than this one would cost to fix.

If you're really dead set on finding a replacement motherboard, search "gateway nv5207u motherboard". Did that myself and came up with lots of results. As far as exactly which you need, I can't really help there. It looks like that model only has one motherboard design, though.

You can buy a replace motherboard for $175.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-MS2274-NV5207U-NV5214u-NV5201E-Motherboard-MB-WDJ01-001-48-4BX04-01M-/280891917880?pt=Motherboards&hash=item4166768638

If you don't trust ebay, then you can buy it for $199 at the following e-tailer:

http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7400

Spending that amount of money on an old laptop is generally not worth it unless you really need the laptop and you cannot afford to buy a new one, or a used laptop.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to a monitor?