Replace or Repair? Laptop (HP DV5-2135dx)

echidna-tan

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
I have a laptop, it's an HP Pavilion DV5-2135dx. I got it about 5 years ago. Ive been mainly using it for doing schoolwork and sometimes playing some games. However just about 3 years ago, the motherboard got semi-fried.The indicator light was blinking and It wont start. It was okay then, because I can still open & use it but I need it to heat up for 20 mins or so. But 2 years ago, I just gave up on it. But since I need a portable computer I am now considering fixing it.

The only faulty part is the motherboard since we had it checked when I gave up on it. and I haven't used It ever since. The Blinking is still there right now whenever I turn it on. So now I just need to find a replacement for the motherboard, I dont need to worry about labor fee because I know basic electronics and things like that.

My only question is "Do you think It's worth it to repair?".

I ask you this because I am sure I dont have common sense about estimation and looking into "loss and gains" and also "pros and cons".

Laptop(amazon): https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Laptop-500GB-DV5-2135DX/dp/B0048ZBL0Q

Motherboard:
http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Laptop,Part,598225001.aspx

Thank you very much for answering!
:) :D ^_____^

Solution
You're absolutely sure the motherboard is at fault here? Given that the purchase of a spare part(even if it's refurbished) isn't a guarantee that the laptop will be back to it's previous state of optimal performance(as it was when brand new). In fact, a lot has changed in the 5 years since you've purchased the laptop. Things have shrunk down in size and in power requirements and they aren't as hot on your laps as they once were. I'd suggest that if you can afford it, buy a new current gen laptop.

After that, you can turn to the HP Pavilion DV5-2135dx unit as a pet project and then tinker around with it.

Lutfij

Splendid
You're absolutely sure the motherboard is at fault here? Given that the purchase of a spare part(even if it's refurbished) isn't a guarantee that the laptop will be back to it's previous state of optimal performance(as it was when brand new). In fact, a lot has changed in the 5 years since you've purchased the laptop. Things have shrunk down in size and in power requirements and they aren't as hot on your laps as they once were. I'd suggest that if you can afford it, buy a new current gen laptop.

After that, you can turn to the HP Pavilion DV5-2135dx unit as a pet project and then tinker around with it.

Solution

echidna-tan

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

Thank you very much. I guess I'll just buy a new one. I just got enough cash right now anyway. :D:lol::bounce:

echidna-tan

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

Thank you very much. I guess I'll just buy a new one. I just got enough cash right now anyway. :D :lol: :bounce: