Replacing a laptop screen

rakkoon

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
I scratched the screen on my laptop. The screen is a 15.6 widescreen 1920 x 1080 (WUXGA FHD) LED backlit (B156HTN03.6) which has a 30 pin connector.

I have a good spare B156HTN01.1 screen from another laptop which is also 15.6 widescreen 1920 x 1080 (WUXGA FHD) LED backlit. This one has a 40 pin connector.

The connectors are on different sides of the panel but I have a 40 pin extension strap that will line the connector on the 2nd screen up with the 30 pin strap on the laptop.

My questions are, can I replace my scratched B156HTN03.6 screen with the spare B156HTN01.1?
If so where would I find a 30 to 40 pin adapter?

The screens have different mounts but it is nothing double-sided tape wont fix.

A search of the internet gets results that assume that I am trying to replace a CCFL lit screen, which has a 30 pin strap, with and LED lit screen, 40 pin. However both my LCD's are LED backlit not CCFL. I hope this is enough information, thanks

you are not going to be able to perform that repair in that way, you need to get a part for part replacement...
it would be like putting 24" wipers on a car that uses 18" . they may look a like and be close in specification, but it just wont fit.
The only 30 to 40 pin adapter cables I have seen in my store and have used for repairs is a LCD to LED converter cable.
which in your case would not work.

rakkoon

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
A part for part replacement is not necessary if you do thorough research and learn what you need to know in order to make a swap.

I found an adapter to convert 30pin eDP to 40pin but the hassle of fitting it to adapt the better spare screen that I had to my laptop was not worth the effort so I decided to try another option; the existing screen is a TN type screen whereas an IPS type screen will give me what I want the downside is a slower refresh rate which will show in some high end gaming but as I do not play any such games I decided to take this option.

With the PLS (IPS) screen the result has been a significantly better display with rich colour depth and wide viewing angles.
And whereas the old screen, especially with its narrow viewing angles would give me a headache over long periods of time the new screen does not.
In making this swap between the old and new screens I emphasis that some of the many parameters MUST be equal while others may be in the ballpark. Listed are significant differences between the screens, which are self-explanatory.
Old
Panel Type: TN, Normally White Transmissive
Brightness: 220 cd/m2 (typ)
Contrast Ratio: 400:1 (typ)
Response Time: 8 (typ)(Tr+Td)
Viewing Angle: 45/45/45/35 (L/R/U/D) (typ) CR>-10)

New
Panel Type: PLS (a development of IPS), Normally Black, Transmissive
Brightness: 300 cd/m2 (typ)
Contrast Ratio: 600:1 (typ)
Response Time: 30 (typ)(Tr+Td)
Viewing Angle: 85/85/85/85 (L/R/U/D) (typ) CR>-10)