Replacing a non-touch screen (broken) with a touch screen

JanPaul

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I have an acer aspire m3 581T series ultrabook, but my screen is broken. Can I replace it with a touch screen. Whether the touch screen works as a touch screen or not is irrelevant I just want to be able to use my laptop.

Solution
I'm not certain, but I highly doubt it. The touch screen most likely wouldn't work even if the screen did. If the screen has the same hinge and is the same size and all of that, then it may work. It'd also need the same cable that connects it to the motherboard, which I'd guess is probably a bit different on a touch screen. I'm no expert on laptops, especially not laptop screens. If I was in your situation I'd get my hands on the exact same type of screen as the broken one. Some more info on the specific laptop and screen you plan to use as a replacement would help.

In the meantime you can still use the computer through an external monitor if it has some kind of display connector. You'll just lose the portability.

Lightening02

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I'm not certain, but I highly doubt it. The touch screen most likely wouldn't work even if the screen did. If the screen has the same hinge and is the same size and all of that, then it may work. It'd also need the same cable that connects it to the motherboard, which I'd guess is probably a bit different on a touch screen. I'm no expert on laptops, especially not laptop screens. If I was in your situation I'd get my hands on the exact same type of screen as the broken one. Some more info on the specific laptop and screen you plan to use as a replacement would help.

In the meantime you can still use the computer through an external monitor if it has some kind of display connector. You'll just lose the portability.

Solution

ScreenSurgeons1

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Lightening02 is correct. You will not be able to convert it to a touchscreen laptop. Replacing it with a compatible screen will not cost you more than $100 and this can be done on your end even without the help of experts.

There are videos in YouTube that can guide you with the procedure and it will not take more than 30 minutes to finish.