Replacing CPU in Lenovo y510p

G

I'm looking for a laptop that has great specs, but for a low price before I go on a trip in August.

The laptop I've been looking at was the Lenovo y510p, specifically the one with the SLI 750m's, and the i7 4700MQ.

However, they are very expensive, and I need to save money for the trip itself. As a compromise for now, I found the y510p that instead has SLI 750m's and the i5-4200m CPU.

My question is, if I wanted to later on, and could find one, could I replace the i5-4200m with the i7-4700MQ in the Lenovo y510p?

From what I researched, they use the exact same socket, which is the FCPGA946 (according to the Intel website).

However, the i5 uses only 37W TDP, while the i7 uses 47W TDP. What do I need to find out to ensure the laptop would work with the upgrade?

Solution
You could do that. But its really not worth it. If you found that i7 to buy, it would probably be way over priced; since its for a laptop. I have the i7 version and it runs all my games great but there are heat issues. Having a dual core processor would be better on heat. I don't see an issue when playing games since you really shouldn't be playing 'heavy games' on a laptop anyways.

-RHINO-

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
You could do that. But its really not worth it. If you found that i7 to buy, it would probably be way over priced; since its for a laptop. I have the i7 version and it runs all my games great but there are heat issues. Having a dual core processor would be better on heat. I don't see an issue when playing games since you really shouldn't be playing 'heavy games' on a laptop anyways.

Solution
G

I know it's not ideal to play graphic heavy games on a laptop, but I want to anyway. The Lenovo y510p was a great choice from what I could tell. Yes, I've also read that it has heat issues, and that's to be expected when you SLI 755m's in a small form factor.

It's not going to be a dedicated gaming machine anyway. I have my desktop with a 780ti for that. The laptop is really just a way for me to take a few games with me if I want to, and for things like LAN parties or just simple entertainment on the internet.

Anyway, it turns out I found a y510p with the i7 and SLI 755m's for about $800 in new condition this morning, so I jumped on that.