Report: 3DS "Replacement" Has 2 Analog Sticks, Less 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Now I'm really glad I didn't buy a 3DS- first the huge price drop, then announcing a new one right after the original flopped. Nintendo's almost pulling an Apple here :p

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]Now I'm really glad I didn't buy a 3DS- first the huge price drop, then announcing a new one right after the original flopped. Nintendo's almost pulling an Apple here[/citation]

it didnt flop...
take a look at the games that are out... most gamers wont buy it till games, because of the ds shovel ware library, and the wii which is almost all shovelware.

there is only 1 game for it, and that is oot remake.
nintendo should have had dual sticks to begin with, but they better support full 3d, as they do now otherwise i wont ever bother with the new one when it comes out, id rather have 3d than a built in second stick (assumeing there is an addon)

G

The problem is the 3D tech is too new to make any conclusive statements regarding the health and well-being of its users. I would be inclined to agree that prolonged exposure may effect young still developing eyes of the children. Still though... not enough long-term data to suggest anything yet. As a precaution, I wouldn't allow my 6 yr old to play a 3DS for any extended periods, and well the other obvious reason not to is she loves her non-3D dsi... so why bother upgrading to 3D for a 6 yr old, right?

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I didn't get the shaft...I bought it at Target at the new price before the deadline, and became an ambassador.

The 3D is ok, but you have to be looking at it almost perfectly. After about 15 minutes of play, I have to switch it back to 2D to let my eyes rest.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]it didnt flop...take a look at the games that are out... most gamers wont buy it till games, because of the ds shovel ware library, and the wii which is almost all shovelware. there is only 1 game for it, and that is oot remake.[/citation]

You're basically contradicting yourself there, first you say it didn't flop then you give a reason of why it did flop. Face it, that's just how it is, it's happened before and it'll happen again, some systems just don't have good games when they first come out. It doesn't mean it won't pick up eventually but for now amabhy is right, it has flopped.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I miss the good old days of GBC and the N64 lol, such good times.[/citation]
Darn kids, get of my internet!

Not 100% sold on the 3DS at this point, while it's kinda neat to mess around with at Target I wasn't "wowed" enough to feel a need to replace my DS lite. Maybe if the new version has better battery life (and some more games) I'll look at it again.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I miss the good old days of GBC and the N64 lol, such good times.[/citation]

Me too! Games these days are just WAY too complicated. I am playing Ocarina of Time on my N64 emulator - why can't games have stories and gameplay like this any more?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Less 3D? Then wouldn't it just a normal DS?

Yes, 3D is... can be a great thing. But not always. Some movies are made for 3D like Avatar, others not, such as Hangover2 (really want to see THAT in 3D?) and some things should never be made like Transformers 2 and 3.

The last 3D Nintendo device bombed. Its great this one doesn't require glasses... but for quality and performance, we may still need those.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
The REAL good old days were Super Nintendo. When the N64 was battleing the Sony Playstation it was loosing ground... but that's just my opinion. Final Fantasy 7 anyone?

G

[citation][nom]illfindu[/nom]3D is not a new technology it has been around since the early 50's nearly as old as the first PC.[/citation]

Completely pointless response to the comment above it. That's a given that anyone already knows making it, well pointless, unless you like stating the obvious. Clearly, the "3D tech" the comment was referring to is the "no glasses" and "less than arm's length away" design of the 3DS.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Less 3D? Then wouldn't it just a normal DS?Yes, 3D is... can be a great thing. But not always. Some movies are made for 3D like Avatar, others not, such as Hangover2 (really want to see THAT in 3D?) and some things should never be made like Transformers 2 and 3.The last 3D Nintendo device bombed. Its great this one doesn't require glasses... but for quality and performance, we may still need those.[/citation]

No Nintendo systems need glasses for 3D, so I don't know what you're talking about. Even if you mean the Virtual Boy, the glasses are attached as part of the system.

The 3DS has it's own type of cartridge that DS players can't use and improved hardware over a normal DS, so this system is NOT meant to replace the 3DS, but to bring the DS owners into the superior hardware without needing the 3D feature they may not want. If you enjoy the 3D aspect then it will likely continue to be supported and you probably already owned a 3DS to begin with, but if you for whatever reason were not interested in the 3D and wanted to buy a DS instead, this will be a better choice. They are not admitting defeat or nailing coffins, the handheld strategy has included multiple options for a long time and they are introducing another option. Likely in 2 years they wll release yet another option, possibly an improved 3DS.

What confuses me is how they will add a second stick to the current hardware. You can't comfortably add new buttons/controls onto current control devices not intended to hold them. An analog stick dangling off the side seems useless and inconvenient.

gmp23

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Don't blame 3D and don't blame the app games. Put all the blame on lack of GAMES. You see, if you're going to market a mobile gaming system, take the 3DS for example, you would think supporting it with what it was actually built for would be a good idea. Just a thought. Now instead of putting money towards more games, they are releasing a new version of a failing system. Who ever is in charge needs to wake up.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
CEO's who jumped on the 3D bandwagon are fools. 3D as it stands is useless. keep producing higher and higher 2d resolutions no "3D" cross-eyed images in 720p. PS i hate 3D tech. why do millionaire CEO's still have jobs when 3D is just a gimmick/fad?

G

I bought a 3DS when it first came out, and there are a handful of enjoyable titles, but none that are exceptional, just passable. I agree with everybody in the forums that there's no games that sell the 3DS at this point. I bought a XBOX360 to play GTA4, and I'm sure many gamers have similar mindsets. I'm not going to say all the games are crap, I had a good time playing Ridge Racer 3D, Pilot Wings, Nintendogs, and Shadow Wars. But these aren't great games, and none of them were worth buying a 3DS to play. Why didn't they have the foresight to drop one of their major IPs at launch, and why is the first 8 months of games all remakes with 3d. Bad marketing nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.