Report: Amazon Tablet Really PlayBook in Disguise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ok look, I rip on Apple all the time but this is one fine example why Android tablets are barely making its way in the market. Its cheap-shots like this that gives iPad the advantage it has.

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I for one am actually looking forward to this tablet. I work with BlackBerry phones on a regular basis at my job and I must say I hate the blackberry OS. Android and WP7 are far superior to BB. hell even IOS is better that BB. When i first saw the Blackberry tablet, all I could think was how much better it would be with Android. Now it looks like i might get my wish.

G

Does it pay to be an early adopter anymore? The older I get the more I see it's just better to wait for the 2nd or even 3rd edition of any new hardware/software. Sad if this turns out to be true tomorrow.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
OK, look at the market. On the one hand we have a slew of high end, high spec, high priced tablets sitting on shelves because most of us won't pay $600 for a tablet (Apple geeks excepted). On the other hand, we have the low end, low spec, and low priced Nook Color selling like hot cakes. Did anyone really expect Amazon to follow the so called "leaders" down the drain and come forth with a tablet that no one will buy? Amazon is pretty sharp at marketing.

Besides, for what most will use a tablet for (reading, music, video, simple games, simple internet and email) one does not need high end hardware. What one needs is an ecosystem to make media consumption easy and inexpensive, and Amazon will provide that. Time will tell, but this might finally provide an alternative to the iPad that people will actually buy.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Doesn't matter what it is made of. It just nice to be priced at a point most people expect is reasonable for a casual consumption device. Make it $250 and you have an iPad killer on your hands, even if its not as good. Android phones sell by the millions because you can get them on a contract for nothing. If they were all priced like iPhones from the start like they tried with tablets, they would be struggling now. When are they going to figure this out?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
No big surprise, no Android device can touch iPad2 in terms of performance. Even Samsung's latest Galaxy Tab has jerky animation (both screen and camera) compared to iPad2, despite the latter's lower hardware spec. It's what you get with a customized in-house OS, same as consoles that perform far better than PCs with equivalent hardware.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
This is my feeling as well... This will be a 1st gen product. Depending on it's success, and Amazon's concept, verses what the consumers want, this will not be a hot ticket item until the 2nd or even 3rd incarnation. At the 250 dollar price point, however, this is much more of a palpable risk for many potential users.

Also, make no mistake, a HUGE reason for the success of the Apple iProducts was the pre-existing product ecosystem that was backwards compatible with the previous iProduct's success...

The iPhone built heavily on the music, movies, and applications that first appeared in the iPod series. The iPad bult it's success on existing iPhone/iPod touch apps and the iTunes ecosystem...

Amazon is the only other company I can think of that has a great existing ecosystem with an iTunes like foothold in a market (eBooks).

I think Amazon will have a winner in about 2 years, and will succeed where all other android/WebOS tablets have failed, miserably...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I believe that releasing a half-baked product into the market with hopes that the second generation will be a blockbuster is a wrong strategy. It basically tells the potential customers you don't really trust your own product enough to make it viable. Besides, who will buy a doomed first edition when they already know a better one is coming after it?
Waste of money, if you ask me. Every successful product has had their marketing team telling the world that was the best ever available, and if there is room for improvement...well, they crossed that bridge when they came to it.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
And I really hope this will not be some crippled Android device, with only some proprietary apps available for it, but a fully functional tablet, with access to all the Android markets and preferably an untouched vanilla UI. Otherwise, it will be a flop, except for some geeks able to tinker with it at a deep level. I do not understand why manufacturers insist in releasing locked-down products, crippled, forcing you to get through a bunch of hoops just to get the full potential, instead of having it fully unlocked and easily tweaked by the adventurous types out there, while the masses can still enjoy the benefits of a fully functional OS. This just grinds my gears.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
A lot of you are missing what Amazon is trying to do. What killed the Playbook was lack of support. In the case of Amazon, they're not out to make money on the Fire, they're out to use it as a portal into Amazon and have people buy various items from Amazon through the Fire.

The Fire has already been shown that it will not have the camera like the Playbook, it won't have as powerful a processor or the same amount of memory. This is made to be a portal, especially when you consider that Amazon pulled their apps off the Apple App store so they don't lose money to Apple when people are buying things from Amazon.

In truth, the Fire is a brilliant idea as a portal for content consumption.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Why not get a netbook with a dual core CPU 10.1 inch screen, keyboard, touchpad, 3 USB ports, 320-500GB hard drive space, full OS, 1-2GB RAM, built in webcam, with the ability to install the kindle software if needed, and all for $250 instead of buying a underpowered tablet?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wanted to add that one of the most popular accessories for tablets are bluetooth keyboards, if you are going to do that why not just get a netbook to begin with.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well the number one rule in marketing isn't to take shortcuts to get things out on time, it's to make them wait for something they'll enjoy.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]No big surprise, no Android device can touch iPad2 in terms of performance. Even Samsung's latest Galaxy Tab has jerky animation (both screen and camera) compared to iPad2, despite the latter's lower hardware spec. It's what you get with a customized in-house OS, same as consoles that perform far better than PCs with equivalent hardware.[/citation]
People round here dont want to hear that.. Even though Toms own CPU and GPU benchmarks proves that the A5 hardware in the iPad2 is better or on par CPUwise with Tegra2 based devices and that the A5 eats the Tegra2 up in GPU benchmarks, your post will still get marked down into oblivion... Haters gonna hate.

scbmpae

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
"The iPad bult it's success on existing iPhone/iPod touch apps and the iTunes ecosystem..."

Right, because the iPad is just a 10 inch iPod Touch. Apple already had iOS and just had
to scale up the hardware, i.e. basically very little development costs compared to other
tablets.

Since there're no real major significant hardware/OS deltas, then the key factors were/are:
1. max the advertising and create perceived feature benefits, e.g. more apps, weight/thinness
deltas (marginal), over other tablets when the majority of tablet use is to just access
the internet & email
2. have naive reviewers buy-into the perceived features and second rate other tablets
3. and have Apple fan-boys who are always denigrating non-Apple products

Bottom line: Tell the consumer/reviewer that any viable tablet must have the Apple
eco-system, e.g. a minimum of 50K+ apps!

Status
Not open for further replies.